Info asked about Twirling or Whirling disease Corydoras

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
CoryfanAad
My images: 2
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Holland

Info asked about Twirling or Whirling disease Corydoras

Post by CoryfanAad »

In a lot of threads about healtproblems of Corys this disease is mentioned as probable cause of strange swimming behaviour and dying of Corys. I am curious to know more about this disease. What is the exact cause, is it common or very rare, is it curable aso. Can't find other info on the internet than the mentioned threads. Almost no scientific info to my believe. Reactions appriciated in advance!!!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk 2
donpetty
My cats species list: 46 (i:32, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 13 (i:8, p:464)
Location 1: West Richland, WA
Location 2: West Richland,WA
Interests: Loricarids,Corydoras and relations,Rainbows, Hillstream loaches.

Re: Info asked about Twirling or Whirling disease Corydoras

Post by donpetty »

Hi, CoryfanAad;
The issue you are speaking about from my reading is much more prevalent in the aquaculture industry with cold water fingerlings and I believe that a parasite called Myxobolus cerebralis is considered to be the cause. Kanamycin is used as a treatment. However, a few of the livebearer forums mention tropicals with this or a similar affliction. One poster had some success with Jungle/Tetra parasite guard. But, most of the other postings suggest humanely euthanizing the fishes and bleaching the tank and equipment. From what I've read the outlook is not a positive one. :((
Don
FuglyDragon
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:17, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:8)
Location 1: New Zealand
Location 2: New Zealand
Interests: Plecos !

Post by FuglyDragon »

I know its an issue in trout hatcheries, especially with rainbow trout. Hadn't heard of it happening with tropical fish but I know manager of local trout hatchery Ill see what he can tell me.
Check out my pages on plecos in New Zealand http://mikesaquatics.co.nz
CoryfanAad
My images: 2
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Holland

Post by CoryfanAad »

Thanks both : did read the trout-disease. Maybe I made a wrong translation, but overhere in Holland in a lot of threads the disease "tolziekte" is mentioned. I think the problems caused by other diseases (strange swimming, flicking, no coordination) is given this name without scientific background. So I believe "tolziekte" doesn't really exists. But I can be wrong!!!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk 2

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”