HELP,laser corys die one by one :(

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
madmisha
Location 1: central israel
Location 2: Ness Ziona

HELP,laser corys die one by one :(

Post by madmisha »

So last monday i bought myself 10 laser corys,5 green lasers and 5 gold lasers.....they were a marvel to behold when i got them....swimming in a shiny,sparky,beautiful school around the tank....however,starting the day after,i have not seen them anymore,barely a couple on feeding times.they all just hide in the plants all the time.
moreover,they darken in color,hyperventilate and i find one dead every 2 days now....so i have 7 left out of the 10 :((((

1. Water parameters
a) Temperature range:27-29 celcious.80-84 F
b) pH: 7.4
c) GH:12-14
d) KH:4-5
e) Conductivity or TDS (if GH and KH aren't provided):unknown.
f) Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite levels (Most LFS's will check your water and give a list of readings):
NH4/NH3=0.
NO2=0
NO3=10 mg/L
g) Water change frequency: 50% 1-2 times a week
h) "Routine" water treatments (e.g, chlorine/chloramine or ammonia neutralizers; pH or hardness adjustments, anti-stress chemicals, tank-cycling bacterial mixes).just Prime conditioner during water changes. as it is a planted tank,i dose in Seachem Iron and Trace elements for the planets twice a week.

2. Tank set up
a) Size:66 gallon.
b) Substrate:Sand in the front,planted area in the back where the corys mostly seem to sit is lava rock gravel.
c) Filtration: x2 cannistar filters, JBL 1901 crystal profi,530 g/H. AND Ehiem pro2,340 g/h.
d) Furnishings:plants,very densely planted onthe back of the tank,driftwood hanging from the top,rocks...no caves thought.
e) Other tank mates: Discus,6 of them. L177 pleco,L46 zebra pleco,L47 mango pleco,L239 blue bariancitrus.10 rummy nose,10 cardinal tetras,2 baby angels.4 panda corys and 3 Brochis corys
f) How long has it been set-up? couple of years.
g) Food used and frequency: Tetra Discus,2-3 times a day. mixed in with Tropical discus wild and frozen artemia and blood worms randomally.
h) Recent changes in the tank which occurred shortly before the disease/problem appeared (if any; e.g., changes in water source or water treatment, changes in decorations or substrate, replacement or changes of hardware (filters, heaters, etc.), and additions or removals of live plants or live fish): none.

3. Symptoms / Problem description or history:
Corys turn dark,hide all the time,hyperventilate and die one by one every couple of days,no external damage or visible parasites.

4. Action taken (if any): none.thought the first two might have not adjusted well to the new tank but now they alll look worse :(
im gonna try move them to a QT 30 gal tank with sandy substrate....ive got 1 wild discus in there,he is totally fine,just trying to get him off frozen foods and to accept dry ones.

5. Medications used (if any) / changes in fish observed since treatment began (if any)
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Re: HELP,laser corys die one by one :(

Post by Supercorygirl »

Try slowly dropping the temp. I kept my green lasers at 72-74F, still going strong and over producing lol.
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
Andrew
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:21)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Ellicott City, Maryland

Re: HELP,laser corys die one by one :(

Post by Andrew »

+1, temperature is way too high. Mine breed between 65 and 72 degrees and start looking grumpy over 76 degrees.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”