help! bunocephalus coracoideus - velvet?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
thalassophoebe
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
Location 1: Calgary, Alberta
Location 2: People's Republic of Canada
Interests: kitties and kittyfish. biology. knitting/crocheting/spinning, television and movies. putting people to sleep with my interests.

help! bunocephalus coracoideus - velvet?

Post by thalassophoebe »

this is a terrible first post, but i need help.

back story: i recently got a couple of synodontis nigriventris, one of them had ick. I've been treating the tank with heat, it's been around 86°f for about a week and a half. no one else was visibly infected. i tried adding a half dose of rid ich plus, but i was worried about stressing the poor guys out. also salt was not working with my corydoras. i picked up some paraguard today but haven't used it.

one of my friendlier banjos is looking a little strange. his behavior hasn't noticeably changed, but I'm sure he looks different than he used to. you know when you look at a word for too long, and it stops looking like a real word? I've been spending a lot of time staring at the tank. i put him in a different container to get a good look, but no matter how much reading i do, it's a mystery. any help would be appreciated.

tank parameters (api test kit):
ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate <5ppm
6 albino corydoras (juvies)
4 synodontis nigriventris
5 bunocephalus (3 juvies, 2 adults)

tank has been cycled and set up for about 7 or 8 months. 40 gallon with sand, some indian almond leaves, 2 pieces of mopani wood and 1 piece of bog wood (from the lfs) pwc every day, aquaclear 70 (no carbon), 3 airstones (because of heat and oxygen depletion) and they get a tiny bit of food every day, bloodworms and repashy.

three pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. am i going crazy, or is this something to be concerned about? please help me.
Attachments
20170114_192707.jpg
20170114_192702.jpg
20170114_192651.jpg
learning with phoebe, getting big brains

bunocephalus coracoideus
corydoras paleatus
synodontis nigriventris
felis catus
canis lupus familiaris
thalassophoebe
Interests: kitties and kittyfish. biology. knitting/crocheting/spinning, television and movies. putting people to sleep with my interests.

Re: help! bunocephalus coracoideus - velvet?

Post by thalassophoebe »

i just had a thought.. could it be his slime coat or something?

bunocephalus coracoideus
corydoras paleatus
synodontis nigriventris
felis catus
canis lupus familiaris
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Hi thalassophoebe,

What exactly are you seeing on the banjo? Are you looking at the tail? the rim of the body? Honestly, I'm not seeing anything that looks horrible.

Thanks, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

When water conditions change or when medications are introduced I have always found that banjos are always quick to shed their skin, could this be what your seeing?
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
thalassophoebe

Post by thalassophoebe »

eric/bekateen,

thank you for replying! the rim of his body, and on the top of his head. it looks a little.. fuzzy? when i shine a light on him, his tail had a goldish almost iridescent shine. again, it could just be me worrying over nothing.

catfishchaos,

thank you for replying, too! in the past I've seen them shed their skin, but i haven't seen any pieces of old skin around anywhere.. unless the other fish are maybe eating them? he could definitely be due for a shed, it's just (in my experience) never taken this long.

leaning towards being paranoid, as these fish are very important to me and i'm dreading the day one of them passes. not being able to find many great pictures of catfish with velvet may have expedited my worry, and i don't want to leave it too long if it is something curable.

do either of you have experience with catfish afflicted with velvet? the banjos seem to be almost bulletproof for the most part, but they aren't invincible.

thank you both for replying. the help is greatly appreciated!

bunocephalus coracoideus
corydoras paleatus
synodontis nigriventris
felis catus
canis lupus familiaris

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”