Frog Marbled Cat

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Cory21
Location 1: NW Ontario, Canada

Frog Marbled Cat

Post by Cory21 »

I'm looking for a reliable source of information on the Frog Marbled catfish, Pseudopimelodus raninus. There is no info on this species in the Cat-eLog. The only info I have is in the Baensch Aquarium Atlas 2. I have a couple of these guys, and am looking to find out more on them. TIA
Thank you,
Cory
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

Could it be Batrachoglanis raninus you're referring to? Here's the Cat E-log entry for it anyway....

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/ps ... /721_f.php

Tyler
Cory21

Post by Cory21 »

Thank you! Thats it! I guess the Baensch atlas had them listed under an old name? I'm not sure, just glad its clarified! I have a pair of these, and was thinking of putting them in a 20gal tank. Right now they are about 2inches and 1 1/2 inches.

Would this be ok? I do realize after searching the site that they will eat small fish. They absolutely love blood worms so I've found.
Thank you,
Cory
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

They should be fine in there for quite some time, being a sedentary fish mostly... But eventually I'd get them into at least a 36" long tank. Just don't put any fish with them that are narrower than the width of the jelly cats' heads, they can engulf some large prey.

For example I gave 1 to a friend a while back that was just under 4" long, little thing would eat a goldfish almost 2" long when he managed to catch it by the head.
They can make quite the show when hungry & the lights are out.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

frog marble cat

Post by lfinley58 »

I certainly agree with the caveat regarding tankmates for this species. I had one around three or so inches long that ate (head first) a whiptail cat that was approx. four inches long. It took it as far as it could (a good portion of the unlucky loricariid was just sticking out of the mouth) and then slowly digested it down over a period of a few days.

Lee
stallion81
Location 1: Rockford,IL

Post by stallion81 »

Yeah , I just "found out" what they can do. I have mine in a cichlid/syno tank and 1 juvie cichlid came up missin and what do u know "Batman" had a FULL belly. Awesome lookin cat though. He is becomin 1 of my favorites.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I should mention that I had a few pictures of these two species mixed up. I am changing this tonight and you guys should see the update in 24 hours or so. I someone is keeping them (not a fish I have had the pleasure of keeping) and wants to fill out a data submission form, I can cobble together the stuff to do with taxonomy and basics like SL etc. Then I can add both speceis data to the cat-elog?

Jools
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I was planning to do a data sub for B. raninus, but do you really need one by tonight?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Silurus wrote:I was planning to do a data sub for B. raninus, but do you really need one by tonight?
No, I was just pointing out that I was adding some pics tonight.

Jools
Cory21

Post by Cory21 »

Just one more thing, where abouts are these cats from? The Cat-E-Log says La mana, but I did a search and can't find out exactly where that is.....
Thank you,
Cory
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The type locality is Rio La Mana, near Rio de Janeiro. This species is widely distributed throughout the Amazon basin and northeastern South America.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”