Some photos of my Chrysichthys sp.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Bristlenose 94
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: NJ
Location 2: USA

Some photos of my Chrysichthys sp.

Post by Bristlenose 94 »

Hi all, I just thought I'd share some updated pics of my Chrysichthys cat. Tell me what you think!
the pics are decent-sized, so click to enlarge!
Attachments
chrysichthys jan. '11.jpg
chrysichthys jan. '11 2.jpg
chrysichthys jan. '11 3.jpg
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL

Re: Some photos of my Chrysichthys sp.

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

So you did not trade him in! http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =+aluminum

Beautiful. I have one just like that, ~6-7" TL. Aluminum cat aka big-eyed african cat, probably furcatus but experts say they are hard to id precisely. Mine used to be a hider but with lots of tank-mates who do not hide he became far more visible. Seems gentle despite a huge mouth in relation to his body size but can be crabby about his hiding spot - lately, him and one of my P blochiis cannot settle at who owns one particular crevice in the rocks... http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =+aluminum
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 21 Jan 2011, 14:54, edited 2 times in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
macvsog23
Location 1: UK

Post by macvsog23 »

Lovely fish
Bristlenose 94
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: NJ

Post by Bristlenose 94 »

Viktor Jarikov wrote:So you did not trade him in! http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =+aluminum

Beautiful. I have one just like that, ~6-7". Aluminum cat aka big-eyed african cat. Used to be a hider but with lots of tank-mates who do not hide he became far more visible. Seems gentle despite a huge mouth in relation to his body size but can be crabby about his hiding spot - lately, him and one of my P blochiis cannot settle at who owns one particular crevice in the rocks... http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =+aluminum
same with mine! i cant bear to part with him, he's great.. but i'll eventually have to. just dont want to, lol.
Mine has a temperament like yours; he used to hide except when it was 100% dark... now he's all over the place as soon as food hits the bottom of the tank! he's also gotten more territorial and doesnt like sharing a cave with my blue acara.
but darn, he's great fun at feeding time. he always picks up pebbles when he sucks up food, and drops them out again.. very comical.
aquadreamz
Location 2: Rhode Island

Post by aquadreamz »

i have one as well, someone gave it to me. they were told it was a pleco! i have had him over a year now, pretty cool fish. i have never seen him bother any small fish (1" and he is at least 7"), just pushes anything that comes under his log out. hates the light, the only chance you get to see him do anything is with them off!! definitely not the most exiting fish i have ever had but i dont think i could get rid of him.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I've never known how they are in a group. Anybody with experience of that? I have 3 C. ornatus in the same tank with mine but they do not pay any attention to each other, not more so than to any other tank mate. The three ornatus definitely have established and maintain a pecking order. It is enforced daily :)

Welcome, Aquadreamz. It'd be nice to see yours in a photo. Hard if he hides all the time.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “African Catfishes”