Regular deworming?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Regular deworming?

Post by polkadot »

Is it necessary to deworm plecos every once in a while, eg once a year or even once every few months, to help "clean" their stomach? I know many people who are keeping discus do that, but what about plecos? Will any parasites naturally die off with good water conditions, or do they stay with the fish till they die?
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

Hi im not that sure but I guess its not bad to deworm your plecs once in a while. I do mine once every two months. I only use a certain fish food with deworming medecine sparyed onto it! And the medicine chloromycetin seems to be helpful especially plecs with large tommys :D
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

It is useful to do so if you introduce new fish in the tank and have not been deworms while quarantined.
If you feed live or frozen food such as blood worms regulary it could be useful to do so as well.
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
BK
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Wisconsin

Post by BK »

i would say that the use of deworming medication on the same fish more than during quarintine or obvious infection would be a bad idea. the more you use medicine the more resistant organisms become to it and exessive or unrequired use of deworming medication could lead to some of the same problems we are seeing with antibiotic resistant bacteria with the organisms in our fish tank and in the water sysytems we dump our waste fish tank water.

there an interesting section at: http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/medica ... hardinrant

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”