info on l-200 lemon spotted green pl*co

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Connaught

info on l-200 lemon spotted green pl*co

Post by Connaught »

any and all info would be appreciated
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

E-mail me off post and I'll try to help. I am keeping several morphs at present.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

I'm interested to know the diff variants of morphs as well! :)
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

Yeah Shane, keep it in this thread. Dang they sound very interesting! Photos please! Thanks

Mike D.
Vik
Location 1: Oregon, USA
Interests: Photography, Fish, Racing

Post by Vik »

Hi! I have three L200's and they are such a great fish. They love zucchini and krill, they are a little territorial, but plenty of caves will remedy most fiesty fish problems. They come out quite a bit and are so green! They are on my list of favorites as far as plecos go! My fish are in 79 degree water, pH 6.9, I keep them with two L128's, a spotted royal, a Royal Farlowella and two L46. They all seem to do well together.
Zebra
Location 1: Essex, England
Interests: Fishkeeping, My Cats

Post by Zebra »

I was just about to start a new post on these great little green guys!! Then found this...
Any info about then? Shane? Shall I email you? :?:

I have over the last few months got my collection to a total of 6 L200's They are all doing well. I have them in a tank with various other plecs at present, they all get on, just a little jostling for prime postions occasionally.

I'm planning on setting them up on their own, to try and breed them. How big do they have to be to mate? How do you sex them? My LFS said that the lighter green ones are female, and the darker ones with more prominant spots are the males??? Any one heard this one? Any truth to it?

Any help much appreiated, not found much on the web - but might not be looking in the reight places!! :D
Scarlet
Location 1: Hong Kong SAR

Post by Scarlet »

My favourite High Fin L200 !
My beloved plecos are Scarlet........Eyes with Evil Look!!
ImageImage
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Sorry guys, I have been meaning to respond. Give me a few days to get some photos so I can post them with my reply.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Zebra

Post by Zebra »

Look forward to it Shane! :)
Heres a pic of a few of mine....
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Sorry for the delay. All L 200 and L 120 in the hobby come from the upper Rio Orinoco and the species (or spp. complex) appears to be limited to this system. I'll let you look at the photos and decide if we are dealing with one or more spp. In the near future I hope to preserve a number of specimens and take proper fin and dentition counts to at least give us an idea of what we are dealing with.

This is a typical L 128. L 128 always arrive with the straight fin variety of L 200. I have never seen a shipment of mixed L 128 and L 200 shark fins. This is important as L 128 and L 200 are not typically distinguished by locals and are considered the same fish "punto diamonte" (diamond spot pleco). My largest specimens are 8 inches (20 cm) total length.

Note that this fish looks like BOTH L 128 and L 200.

This is the fish most commonly imported as L 200. However, the photo does not match DATZ or Aqualog. Note that it has spots over the entire body. My largest specimen is 9 inches (23cm) total length.

Here is the "half spot" type that appeared in Aqualog.

Last, but not least, here is the TRUE L 200 as assigned by DATZ. Note the yellow fringes to the fins and the shark like dorsal fin. This fish arrives with shipments of Leporacanthicus triactis (L 91). I have never seen a specimen larger than four inches (10cm) total length.

As upper Orinoco fishes, all of these types are blackwater fishes. That said, they seem to adapt pretty well to "average" aquarium parameters. They can all be picky feeders in the beginning, but will eventually accept live and frozen foods, cucumber and other veggies, and even dry foods (mine eat Tetra Bits and algae wafers).
-Shane
Plec0maniac
Location 1: Manila, Philippines

Post by Plec0maniac »

hi shane, do you know te full size of an L200... I have a couple of them, and so far there in good condition, I've also never seen an L200 beyond four inches, so is it true that they grow up to 6-8inches???
Too many gorgeous loricariids
So hard to obtain! Grrr....
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

I have seen several specimens at 6 inches!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Plec0maniac

Post by Plec0maniac »

w0w! :D Its a dream to have an L200 or L128 at 6 inches.. i guess they have a slow growth rate since its been with me for almost 8 months now.. Or my tank could be quite overcrowed olso.. :?
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

I posted the maximum sizes that I have seen above. It all depends on WHICH L 200 you are talking about. My "straight fin" specimen is nine inches long. I have never seen the "shark fin" type get larger than about four inches.
-Shane
Zebra

Post by Zebra »

So Shane, do you know about breeding? Sexing? Mine are quite happy in their 'average' tank, but i'm planning on setting them up on their own - any tips?

They are around 2 inches at the moment, I got four of them in the same shipment, which is why they are so similar i think.

From your pictures, i assume mine are the straight finned? So could grow to 6 inches? It also looks as if the L200 and L128 interbreed, causing the colour variations? Or perhaps the habitat? I did have a L128, but unfortunatley it got tangled in some plant wire about a year ago - it was under a piece of bogwood and i didn't notice the wire! However it was exactly the same as my L200's, except it was a stunning BLUE! I have only seen a couple since and they were very expensive!

Mine tend to eat whatever I put in! Live/Frozen/Veg, and variuos dried foods. They love algae wafers! They are very active most of the time.

Scarlet
Location 1: Hong Kong SAR

Post by Scarlet »

My L200 is 5" now. The LFS deliberately import shark fin type L200 and I only pick one (we call high fin type in Hong Kong). But the growth rate is extremely low. Algae wafer is their favourite food.
My beloved plecos are Scarlet........Eyes with Evil Look!!
ImageImage
Plec0maniac

Post by Plec0maniac »

yup mines the shark-fin :) and its still around 4inches.. as with my L128.. my L128 is the one with spots all over the body... I guess there just slow grower...
L.Z
Location 1: Taiwan

Post by L.Z »

MY L200 and L128.

I love L200 and L128, I have 5 L200's and 9 L128's,now.

I have ome 23cm L200 in my tank(165cm*45cm*60cm), but it already sold.

My Planet Catfish Gallery .

http://eheim-uk.com/planetcatfish/galle ... ry/album62

L200

L128

That is water world fish,not my fish.

L200 High.He is not have spots.

Last edited by L.Z on 11 May 2003, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Plec0maniac

Post by Plec0maniac »

nice fishes L.Z. especially the one without spots! :wink: Is that a morph of an L200 or is it another loricarid :?:
L.Z
Location 1: Taiwan

Post by L.Z »

Yes, it is special "L200", therefore time yesterday I buy it to the aquarium.

When perhaps has the time, I can photograph its picture.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”