Brown Whiptails Questions

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
CAtfishluvva
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Cape Town South Africa
Location 2: Helderberg

Brown Whiptails Questions

Post by CAtfishluvva »

Hello. I have two brown whips, a male and female (I am almost 100% sure.)

Here is the male:

He is exactly 110mm (I measured him before posting) and has the stiff bristle like growths on his pectoral fins, head, forehead and cheeks.

Here is the female:

She is exactly 95mm long (she too had to suffer the indignity of measuring).

Here are a few questions:

1) I have had the male for about 6 months and the female for about 3months. Ever since the female was introduced the boy had turned a deep red brown. Why? Is this maturity?

2) Even though having grown the bristles and changing colour, he has shown no special interest in the female, in the last week I had noticed them hanging around together in the rear left corner of the tank during the day...

3) The female is FAT! Look at her belly in the pics, is she constipated? Or is it roe (eggs)?

Here is what they live in:

A 2ft tank.

Furnishings:

Two pieces of bogwood, one pipe (closed at one end) made out of 2 empty plastic Tetra food bottles. Some stones and a sand bottom which they burrow in from time to time. Also there is some loose pieces of wood on the bottom, small enough for them to push around when they forage. No lights (it is a catfish tank after all...) and no plants.

Filtration:

One powerhead in a 30l (1foot) aquarium stuck to the side of the 2ft tank that acts much like a sump filter. It circulates the entire volume of the tank about 5-6 times an hour, but there is not too much of a current. Filter media is gravel and filter wool and I managed to jury rig a drip filter in this as well working off the same pump.

Tankmates:

Besides the two whips there are:

1 Flounder (nigerian or brazilian sole/tongue not quite certain which it is...)
2 Bristlenoses, a male and female, male whip and male bristlenose generally ignore each other, no squabbles over territory or food.
4 Banjo cats.
6 Pareutropius Buffei (they are meant to go in an African biotope but I had to rescue them from two spawning Daffodils)
1 Otocinclus
3 juvenile daffodils (less than 1cm and meant to serve as live food for the banjo's)

Parameters

NO3: 50-100 mg/l
NO2: 0 mg/l
GH: >6deg<10deg>6deg<10deg
KH: 3deg
PH: 6.4
Temp: 15-25celsius (Lower temp when it has rained here to try and mimic the weather...)

Food:

Bloodworm: Every second to third day, and once in a while I skip for five days.
Mix: (includes bloodworm, mysis, daphnia, Brine shrimp and something else (?)) every other second to third day when I am not feeding bloodworm.
Tetra Tabimin: Bottomfeeder food, every day.
Tetra Plecowafers: Every day.
Shrimp: Once a month
Tetra Bits: Every second day.
Kiwi Fruit: Recently introduced, every third day.
Papaja (pawpaw): Recently introduced, every third day.

There is a huge hole in the top of their tank lid and insects regularly fall in and gets eaten by the inhabitants.

Is anything wrong with my setup? I can't wait for them to spawn, but am not sure if they are happy.

What do you guys think?
CAtfishluvva

Post by CAtfishluvva »

Sorry, I tried to edit my post but it seems to throw away a paragraph every time:

Here is my parameters:

Parameters

NO3: 50-100 mg/l
GH: +6deg - 10deg
Temp: 25celsius

Whater changes every second week (50%)

New water params:

NO3: 0 mg/l
GH: + 6deg - 10deg
Temp: 15-25celsius (Lower temp when it has rained here to try and mimic the weather...)

Hope there isn't too much confusion over this lol
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

That looks more like a gut blockage to me, but it is possible she is just really gravid. If the female is gravid this fish can almost be made to spawn on demand. They need a PVC or bamboo tube 7-8 inches long and 3/4" - 1" wide (18-20cm by 2-2.5cm) and a good 30-40 percent water change with rain or RO water that drops the temp a couple of degrees. With all the summer rains we are getting collecting some water should be easy. Right now I have about 40 gallons of rainwater on hand. Just let it rain for 15 minutes or so before collecting water so the dust and debris is cleared from the roof.
The high protein diet also points to gut blockage. These fish are omnivores, but should be fed around 60-70 veggies and the remainder high protein (i.e. bloodworms, dry foods, shrimp, etc). I realize it is a community tank and that makes it hard to control, but cucumber, squash and other veggies always available with dry or frozen foods 2 X weekly would be a good long term diet.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
CAtfishluvva

Post by CAtfishluvva »

I also thought that it might be gut blockage.

Would she stop eating because of it, because she is eating like a horse!

I flipped her over, but can't see roe, but neither is there a large dark patch that I have noticed with blockages before...

Also her size has remained steady for the last month now...

Maybe I should put her in a glass container overnight to see if she defacates...

Looks like there is a storm building over the next day or so...
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

You can put her in a small tank by herself and feed her only veggies for a few weeks to see if the swelling goes down. That said, if she seems healthy and is eating I would add a pipe, wait a day or two so the male finds it, and hit them with a good cool rainwater change.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
CAtfishluvva

Post by CAtfishluvva »

I put a pipe in a while ago, and the male is just not interested, maybe I will put in some more, he's probably a bit picky...
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Re: Brown Whiptails Questions

Post by Marc van Arc »

CAtfishluvva wrote:3 juvenile daffodils (less than 1cm and meant to serve as live food for the banjo's)
Slightly off topic, but the chances that your banjos are actually going to get the daffodils are almost below zero.
Daffodils - like most cichlids - are way too smart to be caught by a lot of fishes, let alone banjos. I've had daffodils outwit true predators like Aristochromis and Lepidolamprologus.
On topic, your whiptail looks gravid to me; just give it some more time. A large waterchange might also do the trick.
CAtfishluvva

Post by CAtfishluvva »

Haha, if you get them small enough they become catfish fodder, but you are right, they are intelligent buggers, and nasty too!

These three are the only ones left of about 9 that I put in.

I checked again, and the largest one is allmost 2cm, and even at 1cm they bully the cats whenever they can.

I hope the old gal is okay though, would love a spawning...
CAtfishluvva

Post by CAtfishluvva »

Right, I am going to move the two of them to a small tank of their own and see what happens...
CAtfishluvva

Post by CAtfishluvva »

Did a water change and here are the water parameters:

Parameters Of tank before water change:

NO3 = 50mg/l
NO2 = 0mg/l
GH = Between 6 and 10deg
KH = 6deg
PH = 7.2
Temp = 27Celsius

Parameters of Rainwater:

NO3 = 0mg/l
NO2 = 0mg/l
GH = Less than 3deg
KH = 0deg
PH = 6.4
Temp = 18Celsius

Parameters after change:

NO3 = 25mg/l
NO2 = 0mg/l
GH = Betweem 3 and 6deg
KH = 0deg
PH = 6.8
Temp = 25Celsius

Think this will work? We had some rain so I decided on the spur of the moment to go ahead and do the rainwater thing...

Lets hold our collective thumbs.

Oh and kiwifruit raises water ph!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”