L183? Ancistrus cf. sp. hoplogenys? Starry night? (pic)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

L183? Ancistrus cf. sp. hoplogenys? Starry night? (pic)

Post by Barbie »

This fish is about 4 inches, and was purchased as a bushynose pleco from a wholesale place in California. The fish to the right of him was purchased as a starry night, but it only about 3 inches. The white on their finnage is different, but as far as the way they are shaped, they seem to be identical. Does anyone have any input? Ideas?

Barbie
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

The big problem with these Ancistrus species is that about every major river in South America has at least 1 species of these. And the differences are hard to see. Unless you know the catching place of this fish, it will be almost impossible to ID him correctly.
I Would check with the shop if he can give you the name of the importer where he bought the fish from and then check with the importator to see where his fish comes from in South America and if you can have the information way down here, you might be able to correctly ID your Ancistrus.

I think we should ask the shop, importator and exportator to give the catching information with their stocklist and stuff: Such as Ancistrus sp "Rio Mindu", this way we will really avoid crossbreeding different species or geographical variant.

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 244
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

I think him is a she, this is a female and the males are more white in the dorsal and tail fins.
They usually export this species as L59 from brasil but as Yann says, they are many look a like species from many rivers.

Janne
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

I actually bought this fish directly from the wholesaler. They had no locational information about them. Just purchased a large batch of "bushynose" and were sent these instead of the regular temmencki fare. I actually have 6 of the adults, and then 2 that were purchased as starry nights. The fish pictured has definite bristles up the center of his face, and less white on his dorsal fin than what I've been calling the female in this tank. She had no bristles up the center of her face, and actually has more white on her dorsal. I assumed it was just a variation in pattern from fish to fish, to be honest.

Would it be safe to assume that the 6 I bought together could safely be spawned without worrying about causing hybridization? I realize the 2 that I bought as juveniles could very well be a different type of fish, as their white edge to their finnage seems to be staying a bit more vivid, so I'll definitely keep them separate.

Thanks for the input. I really do like these fish, and have been trying to find enough adults to form a colony of them for years. Every time I ordered them I was shipped starlights, or very small fry that tended to be sensitive. I appreciate your help. :)

Barbie
L.Z
Location 1: Taiwan

Post by L.Z »

Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

Yeah, I know he does. The problem is he also looks like ancistrus cf. sp. hoplogenys and L183...

Barbie
Yann
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Well the big problem is that Aqualog as put the wrong picture of the L59 in his book they correct it later by creating the L59c which is actually the true L59.
And the true L59 has no white spot but more yellow orange ones of various size

here the link to the true L59: http://www.transfish.de/LCode/L059.jpg

Cheers
Yann
kgroenhoej
Location 1: Denmark

Post by kgroenhoej »

The picture @ transfish shows a juvenile fish. I would like to see a picture of an adult L059c.

-Klaus
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

If i remember! This fish has no L number. Can anyone correct me?

Graeme.
Yann

Post by Yann »

Hi!

No Graeme: L59 c is in fact the true L59
L59a and L59b have either another L number or no L number at all!
Cheers
Yann
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

The fish pictured has definite bristles up the center of his face,
I dont see them.
This is my L59 with the male in front and two females in the back.

Janne
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

Must be one of them i know (no L number ones)! So which is This?

Graeme.
Yann

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Yes on some species females developp small bristles like in males but not as much and smaller.
Ancistrus hopplogenys from the Rio Negro show that particularity pretty well with males developping rather huge bristles and females developping quite a few bristle that could easily make her look like a male!!!
Anyway! Nice fish Janne, you have a nice male in front for sure! What are their actual size?
Cheers
Yann
Janne
Expert

Post by Janne »

The male is 9 cm and the females 7-8 cm, the females have lots of bristles on their nose but not on the head like the male. When I bought them for a year ago they was only 4-5 cm and they come from Turkys in Manaus as L59.
They have just spawn for the first time and it took longer time than I expect to condition them since they seem to be a small species around maximum size of 10 cm.

Janne
Yann

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Well the possibility that he comes from the Rio Negro bassin could be high but, Turkys has several people collecting fish especially catfish from other parts of Brasil and have them then sent to the home base at Manaus so it means that it could come from any where actually.
When I was in Manaus I was able to see several sepcimens of Ancistrus cf hoplogenys supposely caught in the Rio Negro bassin.
As far as I remember I did not notice any white margin on the dorsal or caudal fins.
Cheers
Yann
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Post by T »

Do females of this specias not have any white tips and have small bristles?

I think I have a female.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”