Neblinichthys pilosus; PUNK- or MOHAWK-Pleco!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Neblinichthys pilosus; PUNK- or MOHAWK-Pleco!

Post by Sid Guppy »

This one must be the WEIRDEST Pleco on the planet!
According to the Burgess-Bible it's from Rio Baria in Southern Venezuela.
Did anyone ever see or keep a live specimen? Was/is it ever imported? or is it one of those fish that's only known by a few formaldehyde specimen and never seen again?

Anyone who ever read the Burgess atlas on catfishes knows exactly wich catfish I mean, hopefully one of the Pleco-authorities can shine a bit of light on this one?
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

There is a second species, <i>N. roraima</i>. To the best of my knowledge, they have never been encountered in the trade.
More info on these fish available on Jon Armbruster's website.
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Post by König Löwe »

I made a thread about Neblinicthys a while back, and someone said that an expedtion to the are they live (around Mount Neblina I suppose *) would cost something like 5000 $, and the fish would probably be quite hard to keep due to the extreme conditions they live under.

But by all means, if some catfish fanatic get stinking rich, getting a bunch of these and breeding them would be great :)

*Mount Neblina lies on the border between Colombia and Brazil, while Mount Roraima lies in Venezuela, right next to the border with Brazil. They are more then 700 kilometres appart. Why do i write this? well, I'm currently trying out the new Microsoft Encarta Premium Suite 2003, that has all sorts of info and other stuff, including a nice video of a Clarias slittering accros land :D

I just found this, if you havent allready seen it. http://www.planetcatfish.com/science/ne ... oraima.htm

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”