20 Gallons with Emerald Green Cory Cats

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

20 Gallons with Emerald Green Cory Cats

Post by Taratron »

In my 20 gallon tank, I had three emerald green cory cats, 1 rubbermouth pleco, and 2 ghost shrimp (as well as four killifish and a dwarf puffer).

Yesterday I added one more cory cat--this one from a bad lfs where the poor guy was being picked on and is missing most of his tailfin. Treating with Melafix. My last rescue animal from this place, I swear!

My question is if my tank bottom is now too crowded for everyone to enjoy themselves?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Your tank is not overcrowded at the moment, but the fish (and the shrimp) you have in there have different water requirements,so it's probably not a good idea to have them share a tank.
Taratron

Post by Taratron »

They do? :shock: I never knew that....at least with the shrimp. I thought they were freshwater and could live with most anything?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Both the puffers and the shrimps do best in stagnant waters, whereas the rubbernose is happiest with a strong current.
The shrimps are naturally found in stagnant or very slow flowing waters that are very near the coast. Some of these habitats are brackish while others are completely freshwater (which are connected to the sea in some way, however, since the shrimps require a marine habitat for their larvae to develop).
Taratron

Post by Taratron »

Hmmm....thanks Silurus. I assume that the cories would prefer stagnant waters as well (as much as is possible with an HOB filter, at least)?

Return to “Tank Talk”