Sexing Brochis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Phill Austen
Location 1: Bishop's Waltham U.K.
Interests: Fish and Narcissus

Sexing Brochis

Post by Phill Austen »

Can anybody tell me if it is possible to sex Brochis Multiradiatus along the same lines as Corydoras? and where in the UK can I find a dealer who carries enough stock to make a selection possible? ( I have only seen two or three individuals at one time ) Thanks, Phill Austen.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

There are only two shops that I know of that have had them in stock recently. Pier Aquatics in Wigan and BAS just down the road in Bolton. Not sure of the prices though, one things for sure they won't be cheap.

Ian
Phill Austen
Location 1: Bishop's Waltham U.K.
Interests: Fish and Narcissus

B. Multiradiatus

Post by Phill Austen »

Thanks Ian, I need an excuse to go to Bolton. I bought two Mulltiradiatus this week in Wholsale Tropicals Bethnal Green, paid £19 for the two. I can live with that for fish that I consider spectacularly delightful. Maybe I should have waited untill I could find a larger group to make a better informed selection, I am nervous about introducing fish from too many sources, but I have started now so will have to continue. These fish do please me. Are there any potential problems with wild-caught fish? I have them in quarantine at the moment seeing how they go.They were in very hard London water and I have to get them down to somewhere around 5 DH to go into my Angel tank. Do you think that the importation of these fish is seasonal? Thanks for telling me about BAS I wold welcome any advice that anybody can offer me on these fish. Phill.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Phill

These are also one of my favourites, I don't have any at present but the next time I see some quality fish I will indulge myself.

Regarding their upkeep I would very slowly alter the pH to what you are going to eventially put them in, too rapid a change can be disasterous. GH is not so critical.

They love live Tubifex but it should be given in small amounts because they will gorge them selves, the worms ball up in the gut and are not digested properly and the worm waste ends up poisoning the fish. Blood worms and Daphnia and chopped earth worms make a good diet for them and soon dring them into peak condition.

This is one that I sued to show many years ago.

Ian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”