worms

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

worms

Post by jscoggs27 »

one of my planted tanks has become infested with small free swimming white worms they are about 5mm long or 1/4 of an inch. I never had these before ever. I suspect that they came in with some plants I got recently, can anyone suggest something to get rid of them? If not a treatment how about a fish that eats these things, any suggestions? at first I thought the worms were in the substrate but they seem to swim about a lot.
jason
DeLBoD
Location 1: Wales UK

Post by DeLBoD »

Try looking up "Planaria " on google.com .
DeLBoD
Location 1: Wales UK

Post by DeLBoD »

Sorry .I didnâ??t mean to be short but Iâ??m not to good at explaining things.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Those worms are usually a good sign that there is too much uneaten food present in the tank. There are a few types of fish that will eat them, but its a much better idea to just reduce the amount of food in the tank drastically. Try feeding half of what you're feeding now, every other day and increasing your water change frequency. That will usually get them in control in a couple of weeks. Planaria are a good form of early warning for impending doom. Hope that helps.

Barbie
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Post by jscoggs27 »

thankyou all. I will take the appropriate steps.

Return to “Tank Talk”