Hardness Scales

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
maelstroem
Location 1: Nottinghamshire UK

Hardness Scales

Post by maelstroem »

Hi

I`ve just bought one of Hanna`s pocket meters.
It measures Ph - Temp - EC/TDS.

What does the EC/TDS stand for.

When I tested my tank water the Ph was 6.66 . The EC- (it shows as uS on the meter) measured 363 and TDS as 182.

How do I convert EC/TDS to degrees hardness in UK Clark-German Deg- US degrees.

Can anyone throw any light on the above for me.

Also how does one lower the hardness without affecting the Ph if this is possible.
I would like to get the hardness down to below 100ppm while keeping the Ph at around
6.5 - 6.7 . I have an RO system but when this water is added it obviously lowers the hardness but also drags the Ph down with it.

Thanks
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Electrical Conductivity (EC), Specific Conductance - simply defined this is a measure of a solution's ability to conduct electricity. Usually measured in Siemens/meter (S/m).
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) - this is a measure of the salts dissolved in water. Generally speaking the TDS in mg/L is about 2/3-3/4 of the EC measured in uS/cm.
There is no method of directly converting EC/TDS into gH/dH, but there are some rough approximations. Here is a better explanation.
maelstroem
Location 1: Nottinghamshire UK

Post by maelstroem »

Thanks Silurus the link was informative too.

Is there a general table like 0-50ppm very soft. 51-100 soft etc.

Can you help me at all with the second part of my post re lowering hardness w/o affexting Ph

Thanks again
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Is there a general table like 0-50ppm very soft. 51-100 soft etc.
Try this.
As for lowering hardness without affecting pH, it depends a great deal on the quality of your water. Generally speaking, it's difficult to make water softer without affecting the pH as softening the water tends to lower its buffering capacity.

Return to “Speak Easy”