Synodontis ornatipinnis or hybrid?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Tom
Location 1: Michigan,USA

Re: Synodontis ornatipinnis or hybrid?

Post by Tom »

I believe it is the real deal. I have seen pictures of juvenile ornatapinnis from 20-25 years ago and they all had vermiculated head patterns. I don't believe the Czech hybrids were around back then. I have been a big Syno fan for almost 30 years and I don't know which is worse- hybrid Synos or using the word "hybrid" way too easily.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Food for thought.....if there were no hybrids, no-one would be using the word hybrid.....

Surely their production & introduction into the hobby is the worst thing ever.....
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
worton[pl]
My images: 2
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Lublin, Poland
Location 2: Warsaw, Poland
Interests: catfishes, motorcycles

Post by worton[pl] »

Hey,

thank you very much for an great information Tom!

Well we just need about 6-7 months to be sure I guess and we will know for sure :). If growth rate is also as fast as in other riverine species :).

Regards.
Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Steppenwolf, Born to Be Wild
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Re verified pix: Can't really see how this could work in practice. There are reasonable differences of opinion even with preserved specimens, much less with pictures. The catelog is just a tool.

Re , that's the fish I thought of after when I saw Worton's photo.

Re sidguppy, we tend to think of him as The Phantom of Planet Catfish, not quite real, never actually met AFAIK by a verifiable person, occasionally banned but always the life of the forum.

Re worton's fish, IMO, maybe real, maybe not, but still a nice fish. Like sidgupppy.
worton[pl]

Post by worton[pl] »

Hey,
Re sidguppy, we tend to think of him as The Phantom of Planet Catfish, not quite real, never actually met AFAIK by a verifiable person, occasionally banned but always the life of the forum.

Re worton's fish, IMO, maybe real, maybe not, but still a nice fish. Like sidgupppy.
Funniest description I've ever read :)))). I hear from Evert van Ammelrooy that Sidguppy is real and well known in Netherlands :D
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Dinyar wrote:Re sidguppy, we tend to think of him as The Phantom of Planet Catfish, not quite real, never actually met AFAIK by a verifiable person, occasionally banned but always the life of the forum.
I can assure you Dinyar, he is real. See proof below :D :D
sidguppy wrote:I had a discussion with Marc on this fish the afternoon (dropped by since I was close)
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

but still a nice fish. Like sidgupppy.
:lol:

I'll be damned. next thing we know fishes will invent the wheel.
so Frank Zappa was right when he said "There are 3 things that smell like fish. one of them is fish, the other two are growing on you"
I'm a fish.

I keep myself as a hobby
wtf, that's one hell of a sig :roll:

I can assure you Dinyar, he is real. See proof below
Got you there, Marc; I sent in my clone :starwars: :lol:

hey Worton, you know evert too? he's king of the hill on Tanganyika, at least in the Netherlands. he's the only person I know that goes each year to the lake to dive and manages to discover new species.
the famous Xenotilapia nigrolabiata 'Red Princess' was discovered by him and first imported by him too.
I spoke him on several occasions as well, he's a fairly laid back guy.
Valar Morghulis
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Is sidguppy real or a hybrid? Marc seems like a standup guy, but I haven't met him either, so for now, his sighting of the guppy remains to be attested.

I think a good head shot with dentition would help us decide this once and for all. Also, don't forget the humorous process!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Dinyar wrote:Is sidguppy real or a hybrid? Marc seems like a standup guy, but I haven't met him either, so for now, his sighting of the guppy remains to be attested.

I think a good head shot with dentition would help us decide this once and for all. Also, don't forget the humorous process!
I remember a thread way-back when I only recently had joined the forum:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... f=2&t=3014

Unfortunately, only two of the several photos in the link are still live links... :-( And Sidguppy's link is not one of those live links.

--
Mats
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

I've been trying to upload a pic but imageshack's server is bogged down. Anyway, my three ornatipinnis all have the vermiculated head and they're wild caught to the best of my knowledge. So do all the ones shown in an old copy of the Burgess Atlas, dating back to about when the Soviet tanks were rolling over Czechoslovakia, and nobody there was thinking too hard about hybridizing synos. So I would say Worton[pl]'s fish is genuine.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
worton[pl]

Post by worton[pl] »

Hey,
hey Worton, you know evert too? he's king of the hill on Tanganyika, at least in the Netherlands. he's the only person I know that goes each year to the lake to dive and manages to discover new species.
the famous Xenotilapia nigrolabiata 'Red Princess' was discovered by him and first imported by him too.
I spoke him on several occasions as well, he's a fairly laid back guy.
Well, we have a little Tanganyikan geeks meeting in april this year and Evert was a main guest. His speach was fabulous. Lot's of cichlids I haven't even hear of (ok that is not so big deal ;)) but part of a speach was about catfishes. I think you might find this topic interesting. :)
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Return to “What is my catfish?”