ID of species and problem

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Newfie

ID of species and problem

Post by Newfie »

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum, so hello!
I have had my plec for a few years now - it's grown quite well. I'm not sure of it's scientific name - perhaps you have an idea? :?: I don't know how to add a photo to a post but have some if you could tell me...
It's recently been growing what look like polyps, nodes, some sort of growth, inside its mouth, and i'm concerned that if it grows any more my plec will starve! :(
Any ideas for what this is and how to treat?
Cheers!
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
To add a photo to a post,copy the url of the photo which you want to add,then go to the "Post reply",press the "Img" button,paste the the url of the picture and then press the "Img" button again.
As for your pleco i cannot be sure what this is without a photo.
Last edited by Kostas on 20 Jun 2003, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Hi there, Thanks for your help there Kostas, but i tried copying the file as a jpg from explorer, from my photo editing software, from IE, but the Paste option is not available to me.
I don't have my photo on a web site, so can't use a url.

Thanks anyway.

My plec is pretty shy - he'll come out when it's feeding time, but as soon as he sees movement he's gone - back to his lair!
Kostas
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
Your fish is a Glyptoperichthys Gibbiceps.
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Your fish is suffering from lymphocystis, a viral infection. Quarantine it immediately as it is infectious, but there is no effective medication for it. If your fish is healthy, its immune system will eventually fight the infection successfully.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Thanks Kostas for the id and for posting my picures. :wink:
Thanks Silurus for the advice re problem. Will do this - i'm very glad to hear that it may go away - wasn't looking forward to saying goodbye to this cool cat.
:cheers:

Return to “What is my catfish?”