Driftwood catfish...maybe

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
plecoguy
Location 1: Boise, Idaho United States

Driftwood catfish...maybe

Post by plecoguy »

well, i got this catfish today, and it was labeled as a driftwood cat, but im not so sure. I cant really get a picture of it, but i will do my best to describe it, its very dark in color, with patches of brown black and almost a purple. Its got 2 sets of whiskers around the mouth, has a fin on its back that he can stand up straight, very flat and wide mouth, the somache is large, and its got 2 sets fins under its belly. Does anyone have any idea of the fish im talking about, i sure hope so. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Look in the Cat-eLog under zamora catfish (<i>Auchenipterichthys thoracatus</i>), which is the most common driftwood cat sold in LFSs.
plecoguy

well...close

Post by plecoguy »

that fish is very close..but the fins are a little different, and the coloration is all different...so..ya...
plecoguy

found it

Post by plecoguy »

TRACHELYICHTHYS EXILIS, this is the one. Now, does anyone else have one? i dont normally buy fish with out knowing what it is, but this was my parents who bought him. So...how much is normal price, and what kind of care do they need?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Look here.

Return to “What is my catfish?”