Albino Oto???

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Fishy3

Albino Oto???

Post by Fishy3 »

I believe I have just bought an Albino Oto... The guy at the LFS told me that it was an albino something or other and now I have seem to have forgotten. Can you help me out?

Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Looks more like a Gyrino to me!!!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

Looks like a Chinese algae eater to me.....
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Fishy3

Post by Fishy3 »

Well would I need anything specific in my water for him/her... You do not have any pictures of the Gyrino or any information. Thanks for answering.

Edit: Or anything about the Chinese Algae Eater...

The gentlemen at the LFS said that it would eat my Brown Algae I have in the tank.
Fishy3

Post by Fishy3 »

Okay I have found our what it is.... It's a Golden Chinese Algae Eater. Thanks everyone!!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Chinese algae eaters are a poor choice for getting rid of algae. As the fish grows, you'll find that it's less interested in algae and more interested in what the tankmates are eating (and possibly the tankmates as well). They will also become increasingly aggressive towards tankmates.
Fishy3

Post by Fishy3 »

Yes I have heard that, thou this one was in the same tank as the Tiger Barbs I bought with it. I am going to be watching it carefully. If any aggression is shown I will return it back to the LFS and prolly get some other Oto's.

I was trying to get something that will clean the brown algae in my tank. Any Suggestions if this one does not cooperate?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Real otos or bristlenoses are a much better choice for getting rid of algae. Siamese algae eaters should also do the job.
Frisckey1
Location 1: Virginia, USA
Interests: Fishkeeping, 4x4ing, camping, outdoors

Golden Algea Eater

Post by Frisckey1 »

I can testify that these buggers are aggressive at times. They do eat algea, on occasion, but I wouldnt trust them to keep it under control.

I have two and they are very aggressive with each other and slightly less so with other fish. The most aggression I see is (besides between them) with my dojo loach. The dominant one love to chase him.

They are characters though...
Cant....stop....buying....fish!
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

The Golden form of Gyrinocheilus aymonieri you have is much more peaceful than it's gray/silver and black species. Not a problem for you there.

Enjoy! :D

Graeme.
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Post by T »

Its just a colour morph so I dont see why it would be less aggro but I suppose it could happen.

Return to “What is my catfish?”