What Synodontis

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

What Synodontis

Post by Yann »

Hi everyone!

Can someone give a species identification of this Synodontis?
In advance thanks!

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
mallemalle
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 15
My cats species list: 20 (i:1, k:12)
My BLogs: 1 (i:1, p:29)
Spotted: 29
Location 1: Gjerdrum
Location 2: Norway
Interests: doradids,banjos,bumblebees and suckers.

Post by mallemalle »

could be S. multipunctatus, S.polli or S.petricola
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Juvenile S. multipunctatus, from the look of it.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi Yann!

Maybe ask Erwin. He has an article about the three species in the new DATZ. I dont have it here to check what fish you got...
cheers
Christian
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

It is certainly not a S. multipuntatus, juvenile or otherwise. The skin is too granular, the shape of the head, the shape and color of the eye are all wrong.

My guess (guess mind you) would be one of the many regional variants of S. petricola. I personally have kept three distinctly different forms of S. petricola, I am sure many others are occasionally collected/imported.

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

That's the one and only Synodontis cf "polli" from Zambia!
This is an undescribed species from Zambia, that's already bred in captivity. Like petricola it's an eggsctatterer, but it grows slightly bigger, more blocky. Other names in the LFs are Polli Zambia, sp "white Zambia" and White polli.

Again (for the umpth time I think :roll: )
-petricola has a WHITE dorsal spine, not black, especially with juveniles. And a stretched profile, different markings and a flatter, wider head.
-multipunctatus has smooth skin, big eyes, a different profile, longer whiskers and BLACK pectoral spines!
-polli has those orange eyes, but true polli's have shorter whiskers and a wider mouth. Juvenile true polli's and "Zambian Polli's" are very hard to separate, but it can be done if you check the mouth, and of course the humerals.
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

If it were not for the lack of a white dorsal spine, I wouldn't hesitate to call this fish "S. petricola", probably "dwarf". Though it's probably true that there's a continuum of characteristics between "S. petricola" and "S. polli", I prefer to think of "S. polli" as a discrete, well-defined species, and "S. petricola" as a complex of multiple related species. (FWIW, we have many S. polli collected in Zambian waters, and they don't look at all like this.) Therefore, I would tentatively call this fish "S. cf. petricola".

However, perhaps the real point is that there are many related Tanganyika Synodontis species that have yet to be defined by science, and for now, it's hard to identify these species accurately.

Dinyar

Return to “What is my catfish?”