breeding L 128

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
leonsmith
Location 1: dartford kent
Location 2: dartford kent
Interests: cars, gym fish and fishing

breeding L 128

Post by leonsmith »

Hello all, well i would like to try and breed the blue phantom plec, i started to have a little read up but theres a few things i dont know. my little ones are about 4cm at the moment i have been buying 2 at a time and so far have 4 the idea is to have 6 to 8 of them, then hopefully will end up with males and females, what i need to know
What age or size can they be sexed?
When buying young ones is there anything to give you a chance of picking a male or fem?
At what age or size do they become sexualey active?
What is the right male to fem ratio to keep?
Has anyone on here had a go or have been sucessful at breeding these?
Any help or advice would be great thanks :D
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:4)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Re: breeding L 128

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

I think in a discussion on breeding L200, MatsP indicated that L128 are not sexable until about 13- 15 cm, so you have a ways to go. This is an interesting topic for me, as I have a group of 5 with the biggest one being about 12 cm and there are no signs of a male, so either I have all females or they are not quite mature yet.
leonsmith

Post by leonsmith »

Oh okey sounds like i have a way to go then, how old are yours?
2wheelsx2
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:4)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

I'm not sure of the age, as mine were wild caught at those sizes. I've had them for about 2 months. They seem much easier to keep at that size. I had 3 small ones at 4 cm previously and lost 2 right away and lost the last one after 2 months.
Richard B
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

leonsmith wrote:Hello all, well i would like to try and breed the blue phantom plec, i started to have a little read up but theres a few things i dont know. my little ones are about 4cm at the moment i have been buying 2 at a time and so far have 4 the idea is to have 6 to 8 of them, then hopefully will end up with males and females, what i need to know
What age or size can they be sexed? approx 14 cm upwards
When buying young ones is there anything to give you a chance of picking a male or fem? not really at the size you indicate - you might wanna buy the 2 biggest & the 2 smallest from the same batch but at that size it's probably hit & miss
At what age or size do they become sexualey active?approx 14 cm upwards
What is the right male to fem ratio to keep? unsure - the trick is to get a colony with definate individuals of both rather than get a definate 1:1 or 2:1 ratio & ensure there isplenty of space & plenty of cave options for them - more caves than individuals

Has anyone on here had a go or have been sucessful at breeding these? Several people including Haavard have been succesful with L200 & these should be similar, Mats has a group on the go as do many others
Any help or advice would be great thanks :D
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

The growth rate is hard to judge for any fish, because it depends on so many factors, but 2.5-4 cm/1-1.5" per year is probably achievable for younger or (they are pretty similar, if they aren't the same species).

Judging the age of fishes when they are bought is almost impossible - We can have a guess that a 4cm fish is probably about a year old, a 8-10cm fish is two years old, and a 12-15cm fish is probably 3-4 years old. But that is a completely unsubstantiated guess on my part - and more importantly, if they fish is nearly fully grown, there is no way to tell how old it is, as once fish reach a certain size, they spend less time eating and more time trying to mate, and they are genetically programmed to not grow much more at that stage either, but fish DO grow their entire life. #

If the fish are known to be from the same brood, then the bigger ones are PROBABLY male. But that's a pretty poor judging factor in a shop, as you have no idea if they were even collected in the same location [probably], and you may end up buying some from the brood that was born a few weeks earlier, and some from the later brood - in which case who knows what happens. You have to rely on statistics to get it right here.

If you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying for these? I've seen some tiny L128 that were completely silly price compared to big ones - I've seen large L200 and L128 in MA branches at around £70 each, and they are definitely sexable - it is obviously a better choice to buy three of these than 8 unknown sex ones at just under 30 quid each and not know what you get - you COULD end up with 8 males - and you will have spent some £50 or so feeding them for the two years until they are sexable. And Pier Aquatics are usually a lot less expensive - and if you want a group of these fish, it's best to buy them all from one shipment, so you don't end up with a mix of fish from different locations.

Haavard wrote a thread on breeding L200 some time ago (actual title, I think is "Breeding Hemiancistrus subviridis").

Oh, and I moved this topic to the "correct" forum.

--
Mats
Cristoffer Forssander
I've donated: $10.00!
My images: 76
My cats species list: 42 (i:2, k:0)
My BLogs: 22 (i:25, p:933)
Spotted: 25
Location 1: Sweden, Karlstad
Location 2: SWEDEN
Interests: Plecos, South american C***L and so on...

Post by Cristoffer Forssander »

Maybe this could help... but even with references like this, I still think this is a difficult species to sex, unless they are adult.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f326/ ... 260219.jpg

I may be wrong, but to me, it seemes that L128 becomaes sexual mature at a bigger size than L200s...
Guardians Of Catfish
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Christoffer, do you mind sending that picture for inclusion in the Cat-eLog?

--
Mats
Cristoffer Forssander
I've donated: $10.00!
My images: 76
My cats species list: 42 (i:2, k:0)
My BLogs: 22 (i:25, p:933)
Spotted: 25
Location 1: Sweden, Karlstad
Location 2: SWEDEN
Interests: Plecos, South american C***L and so on...

Post by Cristoffer Forssander »

Not at all!
I wish to contribute to PC as much as possible with images and information!

Where do you whant me to sent the image?

Cristoffer
Guardians Of Catfish
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Ah, yes, that would help, wouldn't it... mats at planetcatfish dot com with a copy to webmaster at same place.

--
Mats
leonsmith

Post by leonsmith »

Thanks for the advice guys, been really helpful. i have been paying 45 pound each for them. thinking bout it should have got mature ones. all a learning curve i suppose. sorry that i put in wrong topic
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Having said that, I haven't seen many sets of male and female large ones around here, and the ones I'm thinking of over at St. Albans are L200.

But last time I was at Piere, I think the L128's were about 40 quid each for "medium" size ones - should be sexable at least if Neil helps out.

--
Mats
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

Mats wrote:Judging the age of fishes when they are bought is almost impossible - We can have a guess that a 4cm fish is probably about a year old, a 8-10cm fish is two years old, and a 12-15cm fish is probably 3-4 years old. But that is a completely unsubstantiated guess on my part - and more importantly, if they fish is nearly fully grown, there is no way to tell how old it is, as once fish reach a certain size, they spend less time eating and more time trying to mate, and they are genetically programmed to not grow much more at that stage either, but fish DO grow their entire life. #
We often think that a fish grows faster in captivity but it's totally the opposite, a fish grows much faster in nature in their right and correct habitat. I would estimate a 4 cm "pleco" to be between 3-6 months depending on species, 8-10 cm ~12 months and 12-15 cm 1,5-3 year maximum depending on species. They do grow their whole life but first they grow longer and then they grow broader. I may not be exactly correct but I do beleive this is much closer to the truth and can be good to know.

Janne
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

You obviously have much more experience than I have, so I'll take your word for that. And yes, it makes a lot of sense that the fish are growing quicker in nature.

So what you are saying is that fish when they are "breeding size", they are around 2-3 years old [for this sort of species].

--
Mats
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Thanks to Christoffer, I have added four new pictures of that show male and female with reasonable detail.

--
Mats
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

So what you are saying is that fish when they are "breeding size", they are around 2-3 years old [for this sort of species].
Yes, they would be mature at that age. They grow quite fast to reach maturity and then they slow down in growth in nature, in the aquarium I would think you can add 1-2 years depending how good condition they are giving... let say it take 3-4 years from 4 cm to reach 13-14 cm for L128 in captivity.

Janne
Richard B
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

I don't know how much they were but sweet knowle aquatics had a gigantic pair recently - quite stunning :D
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
leonsmith

Post by leonsmith »

Really where they for sale? where abouts is that shop?
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

leonsmith

Post by leonsmith »

Thanks for the link mats have just spoke to them have one def male 12-14cm, another large male they are keeping and the rest unknown are 75 each. He is going to send me pics of the male thats for sale.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”