Great Deal ... who am I

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Revrend
Location 2: Florida

Great Deal ... who am I

Post by Revrend »

So I am always looking for a deal ... as i am sure we all are ... I was checking out fish tanks on craigslist ... it had been a couple of weeks so i started at the bottom about7 days ago and worked my way up ... well i kept seeing a 55 gallon tank with wood stand in the same section of town i am in ... It was a because they were moving so the price kept slowly dropping so thursday they had dropped to $100 I dropped them an email told them i had $60 that i could spend ... they emailed me said i had to get it Saturday morning ... so it needs some TLC but i got it for $60 and they asked if i wanted the sucker fish other wise they were going to let him go in the pond so site unseen i said yes well he is 13"

I think it is an L021 but not 100%

Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Great Deal ... who am I

Post by Birger »

Hi and Welcome to PlanetCatfish!

your fish is most likely the vermiculated pattern on the belly gives it away. The L021 or Pterogoplichthys pardalis has a spotted belly.

Birger
Birger
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Nice looking fish, but maybe not such a good deal. You can find this species wild in your state's waterbodies.

:D
Revrend

Post by Revrend »

So it would have been ok for them to let him go in the wild... good to know he could live in the water here
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

So it would have been ok for them to let him go in the wild... good to know he could live in the water here
Absolutely not.

These are non-native fish that are causing considerable ecological damage in many countries, especially in the States.

Most of these problems have been caused by aquarists.

They should never be released into the wild.

:D
Revrend

Post by Revrend »

ok that is what i thought .,. just wanted conformation i would never let this beauty go ... and even though this is a common pleco i think he looks wonderful in my tank .... except he poops way more than the other fish in there and it is light colored sand so you can see it well guess i will not only picking up my dogs poop, but the plecos too ... lol

ANYONE KNOW WHAT NUMBER THIS IS ....
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

ANYONE KNOW WHAT NUMBER THIS IS ....
There is no L-number associated with this species, you will have to use the proper scientific name which is a bit of a tongue twister.
Birger
DutchFry
My images: 12
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: The Hague
Location 2: The Netherlands

Post by DutchFry »

I am amazed by the beauty of this specimen! the pattern even runs through along the sides of his suckermouth, something I have never seen before in pardalis or disjunctivus.

60 dollars is a lot of money for such a fish, but at least you got a real beauty! and these fish have loads of personality, enjoy!
Greetings, Tim
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:4)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

DutchFry wrote:I am amazed by the beauty of this specimen! the pattern even runs through along the sides of his suckermouth, something I have never seen before in pardalis or disjunctivus.

60 dollars is a lot of money for such a fish, but at least you got a real beauty! and these fish have loads of personality, enjoy!
I thought the same thing until I reread it, but he got a tank 55 gallon tank for $60 and the fish came free. :D
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

he is beautiful! :thumbsup:
nj2tou
Location 1: L.I., NY

Post by nj2tou »

Yeah, common, or not, it's beautiful! So it's either an expensive fish with a free tank or an inexpensive tank with a free fish! (which is what he got) LOL!

Return to “What is my catfish?”