L204

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
andy75
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 12
Location 2: england, swindon

L204

Post by andy75 »

Hi guys,

My L204 have been acting very strangely, i have 6 of them in a 150l tank, i know i definetly have a very big hairy male and a very plump female in there, the other 4 are too small to sex yet. The thing is, the cave the male has taken up and its been his cave for a few months now hes been moving around, hes turned it a whole 90 degrees so that i cant see him or the entrance to the cave. The female just sits very close or on top of the cave, could this be a good sign of them maybe attempting to breed soon? Has anyone else had this with them or any other plecs?

Ive had these 2 for over a year now and they are about 5-5.5 inches TL

Andy
Griparn
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Sweden

Re: L204

Post by Griparn »

I have the same experience with my Panaque Maccus. When females is getting intrested in breeding they hang around the cave entrance, so its a good sign as I think it's the same with most species. :thumbsup:
DutchFry
My images: 12
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: The Hague
Location 2: The Netherlands

Post by DutchFry »

"When they are ready, the male will let the female into the cave and breeding can begin, the male will lie over the females back and in intervals start to vibrate at a high frequently to stimulate her to release her eggs. This behaviour they share with the genus Peckoltia and Hypancistrus but with L204 it's rare that the female stays longer then one or two days, I think the answer can be found in their more intimate behaviour and communication before they actually start to breed; other species belonging to the other genera I mention lack the "foreplay" and just trick the females into entrapment and that's why they can be trapped for many days and sometimes weeks. L204 have a more sophisticated breeding behaviour and that maybe will be shared of other species in this genus which also have long filaments in their tailfin."

read more:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworl ... sp%2C+L204
Greetings, Tim
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

As far as cave moving goes - my common B/N moves his cave all over his tank - quite frustrating at times :(
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
andy75
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 12
Location 2: england, swindon

Post by andy75 »

I just really hope this is a good sign, he's been moving like crazy!

Andy

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”