Received as L-183's US

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
reticulata
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Milwaukie, OR.
Interests: Scuba Diving, Stained Glass and Fusion

Received as L-183's US

Post by reticulata »

The fish pictured is a male of which I also have a female. I traded two zebra pleco juvies for four of these fish about three years ago. They and some other plecos have been in a large tank with lots of caves. They were fed and water changed regularly but that's about all. The picture turned out well especially the coloration. The body is black with micro tiny white pin dots. There are some areas of grey splotches and there are two areas on the back that does have some reddish tinge to them. They eat a lot of zuchinni and flakes but no meat. Also has a white tip on it's dorsal fin.

Plecos
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Received as L-183's

Post by MatsP »

L183 has a unique dorsal fin (it has more rays than other species). So a lateral (sideways) shot with the dorsal fin would be much better for identifying the species.

--
Mats
juventus
Location 2: Oslo
Interests: Plecs and the footbal team Juventus.

Post by juventus »

I can´t se any white on the tale or the back fin...
reticulata
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Milwaukie, OR.
Interests: Scuba Diving, Stained Glass and Fusion

Post by reticulata »

I tried to get a lateral view but he wouldn't "flair" while taking the photos. He did a couple of times after and had a huge dorsal fin. There is no white on the tail fin but a little on the dorsal which can be seen in the photo above. It almost looks yellow in the photo, looks like a short dash.
Plecos
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

If you hold the fish in your hand (around the head), it will almost certainly show it's fins.

--
Mats

Return to “What is my catfish?”