Sera Food??

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Capt Dave
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: New York

Sera Food??

Post by Capt Dave »

How is the quality of sera brand food for plecos? Was thinking of using the catfish wafers since they contain vegetable matter and wood in the ingredients. Anyone use this food??
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Sera Food??

Post by MatsP »

It's difficult to get around here (not that I've been trying very hard!), so I've been using JBL NovoPleco, which also contains wood. Seems to be good for the fish. I use the "XL" tablets, as this makes it less likely to be eaten by other gluttonous fish...

--
Mats
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Although i don't use the specific food you are referring to, i have used a number of Sera food products - all of which i really like & are appreciated by a wide number of catfish species
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

That's in my rotation of food, the Sera Catfish Chips with willow and alder wood, they like it, as they like all the Sera products so far.
kouen
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Moscow, Russia

Post by kouen »

All my grown-up cats (since 6 month) like sera tabs if nothing to eat. This food is just stinking sawdust in comparing to “tetra discus” If you have some driftwood in your tank that food (tetra-discus) is excellent sours for different cats. Please, test once and you will use that food every time. Your pets will like it ;)
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

kouen wrote:All my grown-up cats (since 6 month) like sera tabs if nothing to eat. This food is just stinking sawdust in comparing to “tetra discus” If you have some driftwood in your tank that food (tetra-discus) is excellent sours for different cats. Please, test once and you will use that food every time. Your pets will like it ;)
I'd like to object here: This is HIGHLY dependent on what species is being kept in the tank. Extra fiber is certainly a good thing for most omnivore species.

--
Mats
kouen
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Moscow, Russia

Post by kouen »

You right.

I tested this food on L018, L181, L169, L204, L200(128) and red ancistrus only. All they like it, growing very fast as well get a paunch of caviar to breeding. Differnt Colegues from Russia also very happy with that food and recoment as the best pleco "dry twigs". Better is only home made forcemeat with special items specially for each species. Sorry for casuistry :d
2wheelsx2
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Difficult AND expensive to get around here. I got a small container to try at a premium price (more expensive per gram than any other food I have, including NLS, Dainichi, etc.) so since then I have just given up and provide fresh veggies, real wood and other foods when I'm stuck for fresh food. Hikari wafers are what I use mainly when I want veggie food but don't have fresh.

My fish like the Sera chips, but not enough for me to justify spending about twice what the other foods are worth.
vanillarum
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Post by vanillarum »

I use the Sera chips just for some variety for the cats, and they really seem to like it. Yes, it is a little more expensive, but I have not found many alternatives that contain the same ingredients. Good luck.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
Capt Dave
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: New York

Post by Capt Dave »

it seems like that is the only brand with wood in the food. almost like its made for panaques
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Capt Dave wrote:it seems like that is the only brand with wood in the food. almost like its made for panaques
Like I said, JBL makes a food called NovoPlec with wood-fibre in it. The latest scientific results indicate that the digestion of wood in Panaque is more about using nutrients formed by the microorganisms that break down wood, rather than wood in itself. However, all "mainly vegetarian" fish will need a good amount of fibre in their diet to keep the guts going.

--
Mats
Julie
My cats species list: 42 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Pottstown, PA
Location 2: Pottstown, PA
Interests: fish, kids, horses, karate

Post by Julie »

Ken's Fish will be carrying a new food in the near future that will also have wood in it. I talked with Ken at the Catfish Convention about the topic, and he said he was developing one with the help of Lee Finley. So keep an eye out for that, sure to be a good product at a reasonable price.
2wheelsx2
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Julie wrote:Ken's Fish will be carrying a new food in the near future that will also have wood in it.
That would be great. I've become a huge fan of Ken's sticks, partly due to this forum.
bronzefry
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I feed them Ken's stick mix as a primary and their "treats" are the Sera chips or frozen/freeze-dried food(reconstituted), followed by a day off. The Sera chips are too expensive for a primary food.
Amanda
andywoolloo
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

Same here Amanda,as far as feeding, all about The Ken's stix also.
Kestrix
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Oregon, USA

Post by Kestrix »

I use several of the Sera food products, including this one and my fish just love it. I have tried several other brands and the only other one that my any of my fish will take is Omega. It's a bit of a drive to get to the LFS that sells Sera, but the price seems reasonable to me. Other than that I also feed whatever vegetables I happen to have.

Currently everyone seems to enjoy waterlogged green beans.
DJ-don
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canberra Australia
Location 2: Canberra Australia

Post by DJ-don »

I find that the sera catfish chips are great with baby bns and that (around a week old or so) because it gets a bit soft quite quickly in the water.

And my catfish absolutely adore it. the corys like it too

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”