Atlantic grey seals at Donna Nook

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Atlantic grey seals at Donna Nook

Post by Carp37 »

I'm not really sure if I should be posting this here (mods- give me a shout if it's totally inappropriate please), but I've just had a great day out at Donna Nook in Lincolnshire looking at grey seals- apparently they've had over 1,000 pups this year. For anyone within driving distance in the UK it's an amazing experience.

Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus
torbanite
I've donated: $100.00!
Location 2: CO, USA

Re: Atlantic grey seals at Donna Nook

Post by torbanite »

Nice photos! :-BD

It looks like you were quite close for some of the shots?
Did the mothers not get a bit twitchy about it?
I guess if they make their home on an RAF practice range they must be pretty laid back about life in general.. ;)
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Post by L number Banana »

Those pics are awesome! The little white ones are just adorable. Lucky, lucky you!!

I too am amazed that you got so close without getting a bite out of the deal. Seals can be pretty nasty.
I'm not really sure if I should be posting this here (mods- give me a shout if it's totally inappropriate please)
At least this post is water and critters, some of mine are really OT and no one has grouched at me. :ymblushing:
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

oh my goodness!!!! so cute!!! :YMHUG:
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Post by Carp37 »

torbanite wrote: It looks like you were quite close for some of the shots?
Did the mothers not get a bit twitchy about it?
I guess if they make their home on an RAF practice range they must be pretty laid back about life in general.. ;)
For the main part of the reserve, there's a double layer of very low fencing between the beach and the walking area- some of the seals actually lay against the inner fence, so they're actually within touching distance. A few intrepid mothers have their pups outside this area, but I resisted the temptation to get within more than 10 yards of these.

I did get a reproachful glare from a mother and her pup when a Eurofighter plane flew overhead- it woke them up and they seemed to think it was my fault.

I'd definitely give the bulls a bit of a wide berth though- the blood round their necks is a good indication that they've got powerful teeth. I remember fishing at a rocky cove in Devon nearly 20 years ago, when near low tide, a BIG bull grey seal (I estimated about 7 feet long and over 500 lbs.) suddenly swam through where I was fishing- I must have crossed the gully it was sleeping in when getting to the rock I was fishing off.
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus

Return to “Speak Easy”