Eggs, fry and eggs again

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Troender
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Askim, Norway

Eggs, fry and eggs again

Post by Troender »

A few weeks ago, my group of C-140 decided it was time to get rid of some eggs. They spawn no more often than once a year, so it's a rare occation. The two earlier times they've spawned, the eggs all went bad, and I got no fry. This time I was so ready to make it work. I picked the eggs, and took some action to prevent problems. But it didn't work this time either. All the eggs went bad, and I was really sad about it. I always wait for a long time before throwing the eggs away, even far past the time they should have hatched. I think I wait for a miracle, as I have experienced some fish miracles in the past. A few days ago, I passed the tank with the depressing eggs, and I sent a sad look into it, and then froze. An egg with a tail! :icon-eek: I didn't believe the little thing would be alive, but took it up to help it getting the egg off its head. But it was alive! He is now well alive in a little icecream box, as the only little surviver from all those egg - a little miracle fry, hatched far later than he should have!

And today the surprises continued: the C-140 group has spawned again! :happy-wavemulticolor: Not so many eggs this time, but there are eggs on the front glass! This took me by surprise, as they have always waited at least a year, or even more, between the spawnings. This time I will let the eggs stay in the tank, and see if I am more successful with them this way.

As I've had other fish spawn as well, it seems like it's a good thing I have problems with keeping the right temperature in the tanks in my bedroom. It's far too cold in there, and the heaters are too weak to keep the temperature up right now. And the result has been that the catfishes believe it's the rainy season. :d
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

Image Image Image Image Image
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Eggs, fry and eggs again

Post by MatsP »

Congratulations. Good luck raising the fry.

--
Mats
corybrummie2010
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Birmingham UK

Post by corybrummie2010 »

Congrats and well done :-BD
Troender

Post by Troender »

Thanks! :) To make the joy even bigger, they spawned again this morning, and this time I could watch it myself. They are all insane these days! :d
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

Troender

Post by Troender »

I wonder what's going on i their tiny little brains these days. They've spawned again today. :icon-eek: That's four times in a few weeks! :happy-jumpgreen: Those cories that only spawned once a year at the most!
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

This is great :) congrats on all the action!

My own group have been doing some spawning-like behaviour the last week but no eggs.
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
Troender

Post by Troender »

OMG! They've done it again today! :-o And a considerable amount of eggs too! They are just insane these days! :screwy:
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Troender

Post by Troender »

Here's a little bit of today's production:
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »