Newly Adopted & Ill Eupterus

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
GoldenFeather
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 2 (i:1, k:0)
Location 2: Hana

Re: Newly Adopted & Ill Eupterus - re: test readings

Post by GoldenFeather »

12/22

a.m. were
  • pH - 6.6; Am - .25(–); NO2 - 0; NO3 - 150 (–)
p.m. after water change
  • pH - 6.8; Am - .25(–-); NO2 - 0; NO3 - 40 (+)
I'm glad to see that some of the numbers are similar but seems to me the Ammonia should drop more than this? It was a very slight difference. Are Nitrates always erratic?

Thanks to All of you, GF
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Newly Adopted & Ill Eupterus

Post by MatsP »

Centromochlus would work with your syno, but if you plan on breeding them, I'd suggest that you need to have a separate tank.

I also think your nitrate test may not be quite as accurate as we'd hope for. It can be quite hard to determine if a colour is the same as what is on the paper, or just a little bit off. As long as it's much lower after than before, that's a good sign. I'm quite surprised how much it rises overnight. You really do need to move the fish into a bigger tank...

--
Mats
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Post by Carp37 »

MatsP wrote:I also think your nitrate test may not be quite as accurate as we'd hope for. It can be quite hard to determine if a colour is the same as what is on the paper, or just a little bit off. As long as it's much lower after than before, that's a good sign.
I'd agree with this- aquarium nitrate test kits are EXTREMELY difficult to get a good reading. 150 is pretty high, though! My 175 gallon tank has 3 times the amount of fish it should have in it (long story), but that only gets up to 80ish before a water change.

Keep up with the water changes... and best of luck,
Stu
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

is it the API liquid drop NA test with two bottles? Are you making sure to smash and bang the bottle before using? you really have to shake shake shake bang bang the one bottle or it reads false.

And maybe it's expired? there are lot # code things on them. Let me know what test kit and if it's api ill see if i can find the link that breaks the code thing re expiration, which isn't really a code just deciphers how they do it.
GoldenFeather

Re: Newly Adopted & Ill Eupterus re: New Tank Mates

Post by GoldenFeather »

MatsP wrote:Centromochlus would work with your syno, but if you plan on breeding them, I'd suggest that you need to have a separate tank.
--
Mats
Breeding? Ah... nope. Not in our foreseeable future. But that's good news, would they befriend each other? Does the Centromochlus need a mate or like species with it vs getting one as a single fish?

This is for later on anyway as I'm in need of allowing Nui some adjustment time on his own right? But I really do love that fish as far as looks go. Need to read up on it. I liked all of your fish... they're beautiful, the large one with the light streak down his side, is striking.

One thing I've been wondering, would it be best if I transferred Li'i so that Nui isn't alone – until I do get another tank mate? Or is he fine on his own without tank mates for a time. I also need to consider that the lack of algae in the new tank might encourage Li'i to clean the slime off Nui? And that just won't do! I really need to think about Li'i going or staying in the 10g. They say the GAE needs a 40g??? He has put on weight. They say he can get up to 10"+. But I've never seen any photos of it.

But, regarding an ongoing relationship with them, Nui adjusts to changes easily. In fact I think he enjoys them... at least right now in this tank. He may get settled in the new one. Hope so. Li'i has shown us so far that he does not!

He attacked Nui all over the place when I tried to rearrange the tank for more swim space + an extra hiding spot. I had to put in the net to get him to stay off. MovedI had moved Li'i's little cave spot... soon as I put it back he settled. He's a voracious little thing, and Nui is not letting him near his tail or body any longer. I think the wounds Nui had when we got him was most likely from Li'i. The one by his Dorsal was down to red meat. The little $%&#@.

BTW Mats.. I wanted to ask you where you get your black rock? I know you're in Europe... but maybe you could tell me what it is and I could take a look around the net? Thanks... I do have access to big bamboo, there's the one variety, not the Elephant but one that's a good 5" diameter.

[i}...technical response next post[/i]

Our Best Today/Tonite!

GF
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

What black rock is that? There are several types of black rock available for use in aquariums. Around here, I could easily find slate, which is neutral and suitable for aquarium use. I don't really know what is available where you live.

Most of my tank decorations in my current tanks are pieces of wood.

--
Mats
GoldenFeather

Post by GoldenFeather »

Mats wrote:MatsP wrote:
I also think your nitrate test may not be quite as accurate as we'd hope for. It can be quite hard to determine if a colour is the same as what is on the paper, or just a little bit off. As long as it's much lower after than before, that's a good sign.
Carp37 wrote:Stu wrote:
I'd agree with this- aquarium nitrate test kits are EXTREMELY difficult to get a good reading. 150 is pretty high, though! My 175 gallon tank has 3 times the amount of fish it should have in it (long story), but that only gets up to 80ish before a water change.
andywoolloo wrote:Andy wrote:
is it the API liquid drop NA test with two bottles? Are you making sure to smash and bang the bottle before using? you really have to shake shake shake bang bang the one bottle or it reads false.

And maybe it's expired? there are lot # code things on them. Let me know what test kit and if it's api ill see if i can find the link that breaks the code thing re expiration, which isn't really a code just deciphers how they do it.
I have the API Master Test Kit with the four tests included. But to preface and address an earlier suggestion from Mats yesterday... I did a 3x consecutive pH test to test the consistency. All three were very close tho' the shading was a little bit different. Not enough to change the reading though.

The API kit is within/prior to, the expiration. It is a two bottle test and I've shaken it vigorously as directed. However, hearing your description Andy, I'm not being aggressive enough with it! I was wondering why the drops seem stuck sometimes. I squeeze gently but can't get anything out. Not even a start of a drop. So I take it over another container to increase pressure... still nothing. Then after another couple shakes the drops flow easily. This has happened with the Nitrates test repeatedly. Is this because I'm not getting the solution mixed well enough. You say "bang" the bottle??? Serious? I should do that?

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. It's so helpful... absolutely invaluable to me during this stage of ignorance re: fish care. Thank you for understanding the lack of time I had to catch up and take care of them properly on my own. I apologize for taking any of your holiday time. I certainly understand if you're not around the rest of the week.

We hope you have a wonderful Holiday, that your families/loved ones/friends receive Boundless Blessings of Health and Happiness. Wealth never hurts either!

Mele Kalikimaka from Nui & Li'i,

GF
GoldenFeather

Post by GoldenFeather »

MatsP wrote:What black rock is that? There are several types of black rock available for use in aquariums. Around here, I could easily find slate, which is neutral and suitable for aquarium use. I don't really know what is available where you live.

--
Mats
Mats... I'm thinking of the first tank on the list with Krakatoa in the center. It's a steepled mountain looking piece and you have it raised off the sand creating a wonderful hid space beneath.

The tank photo is titled: "1. Rack 1 - tank 1"

On your Aquaria page.

GF
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

That'll be a piece of wood (I presume it's where the tree spreads its roots into the ground - but I can't say for certain where it was on the tree).

--
Mats
GoldenFeather

Post by GoldenFeather »

GoldenFeather wrote:
MatsP wrote:What black rock is that? There are several types of black rock available for use in aquariums. Around here, I could easily find slate, which is neutral and suitable for aquarium use. I don't really know what is available where you live.

--
Mats
Mats... I'm thinking of the first tank on the list with Krakatoa in the center. It's a steepled mountain looking piece and you have it raised off the sand creating a wonderful hid space beneath.

The tank photo is titled: "1. Rack 1 - tank 1"

On your Aquaria page.

GF
RE: Maui's natural resources / rock

We have Lava and Basalt. The higher up the denser the basalt if that matters. Basalt is most always smooth. Lava can be smooth or rough. We have an abundance of freshwater streams where rock have usually never been in the ocean... We have lots of Sand, various colors green, red, black etc. And we have driftwood... stream or ocean. And shell of course. Not Abalone tho' mine came from California, Mexico and Japan. And bamboo. ???Hmm, if I think of anything else that would work for tank matter I'll post.

Mahalo, GF
GoldenFeather

Post by GoldenFeather »

GoldenFeather wrote:
andywoolloo wrote:Andy wrote:

"GoldenFeather wrote:

The API kit is within/prior to, the expiration. ..."

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. It's so helpful... absolutely invaluable to me during this stage of ignorance re: fish care. Thank you for understanding the lack of time I had to catch up and take care of them properly on my own. I apologize for taking any of your holiday time. I certainly understand if you're not around the rest of the week.

We hope you have a wonderful Holiday, that your families/loved ones/friends receive Boundless Blessings of Health and Happiness. Wealth never hurts either!

Mele Kalikimaka from Nui & Li'i,

GF
Well, I only say that it's within the expiration period because the dealer had told me that. I ask the question before ordering online. But to be honest, I haven't checked myself. I will and get the number sequence to you???

Thanks Andy,
GoldenFeather

Re: Newly Adopted & Ill Eupterus re: 4 a.m. test

Post by GoldenFeather »

Hi all...

I woke to check water temp at 4 a.m. and decided to do a fast pH and Ammonia test:

pH - 6.4(-); Am - .25(++)

I'll do another B4 and After with the next water change. Can't get to it for a couple hours tho'.

??, GF
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I think all of those materials are OK in a tank. Basalt, I'm pretty sure is a great material in a tank.

--
Mats
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

as far as banging the NA bottle, confirm you have the API freshwater master test kit with the white plastic bottles?

if so bang away on that bottle #2! unknown why but it tends to work more accurate the more shaked up banged up it is.

Just wanted to make sure you did have that one.

read this re API ,describes how to read the lot #s and how to shake bang the 2nd NA bottle

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/test- ... users.html
GoldenFeather

Re: Newly Adopted & Ill Eupterus re: 4 a.m. test

Post by GoldenFeather »

GoldenFeather wrote:Hi all...

I woke to check water temp at 4 a.m. and decided to do a fast pH and Ammonia test:

pH - 6.4(-); Am - .25(++)

I'll do another B4 and After with the next water change. Can't get to it for a couple hours tho'.
Good Evening...

Because I could only do one water change today I did 50% and vac'd the gravel. I actually think I need to vac daily. Even feeding less there's still a lot of waste. I also swished the sponge and filter bag in the tank water I syphoned out into their dedicated bucket. The test results are as follows:

4:00 p.m. (before water change):
  • pH - 6.4(-/-); Am - 0.50(-); NO2 - 0(+/+); NO3 - 80(+/+) ... actually closer to: 100(+)
6:00 p.mm (directly after water change):
  • pH - 7.0; Am - 0.25(-/-); NO2 - 0; NO3 - 40 (-/-)
Part of me wants to do another water change to get the Ammonia down more. But an early a.m. and p.m. changes tomorrow.

I agree... Once in awhile I have difficulty w/ the "test tube" / "color chart" comparisons. The liquid colors are vibrant and without the experience – I worry about being unable to target the in-between variables correctly. Thus all the (-/-) & (+/+). At least I haven't: (-/+).. Is there a better kit or do I just need more experience with it? Again I thank the stars for you guys.

Naturalart got me to clean the sponge a few days ago. It was loaded with sludge. I decided to take a look at the bio-bag today and the same thing, maybe worse. I swished it in the tank water I syphoned out. Using my fingers I rubbed at it gently and swished some more until it seemed to release the most of it. Did I do right? No negative responses from Nui.

Next post a question on feeding.

Another Googolplex of Thanks this week... for reading, responding... Even researching... Just so constantly incredible. I'm feel thankful everyday for the time you've taken to share and/or read.

GF
GoldenFeather

Post by GoldenFeather »

Hello Everyone... Hope you all had a good Yule,

I've been keeping up on the water changes and working on cleaning up the 55g. Not quite done but getting close. I have a question I'm concerned with at the bottom. Here are my recent before and after a 40% water change:

• 12/25 - 8 pm
– fed only 3 H.A. wafers (8 pm - Noon

• 55% w/ch
  • pH - 7.0; Am - .25(-); NO2 - 0; NO3 - 20(+)
• 12/26 - 12 pm
  • pH - 6.6; Am - .25(+/+); NO2 - 0; NO3 - 20(+/+)
• 6 pm - 40% w/cg
  • pH - 7.2; Am - 0(+); NO2 - 0; NO3 - 20
– partial checks after feeding H.A.Wafers/T.T. Flakes

• 9 pm
  • pH - 6.6; Am - .25(+)
• 11 pm
  • pH - 6.4; Am - .25(+/+)
The feeding I did after the water change this evening was less than what I had been feeding them a few days ago. in comparison to just a couple wafers tho' I guess a significant difference. I'm changing water as often as I can (not always twice each day). Is it better for me to feed them "nil" amounts – leaving out even small meals?

Just to let you know, I'm placing what time I can to getting the 55g set up and going. I know it can't be soon enough.

Tonight I went ahead and added the abalone shell back into the water (sm abalone about 2.5") to see if it can help the pH a little maybe in this 10g. My intent is to follow your advice and example not to use any chemical products on the water except the water conditioner. But I also put in one of the small cartridges of zeolite into the well of the filter. It's less than a tablespoon? I figured it can't hurt... can it???

Sad note here... as I've been syphon/vac'g the gravel at least every other day and sometimes every day I'd find there were small bits of algae looking debris that I couldn't vac up the tube. I figured it had some weight to it so would leave it. Christmas night I decided to get one of these pieces out just to take a look at it. I'm sorry to share this with you but it may have impact on our situation, it is fish bone.

Evidently, the %#@^&% property manager here didn't find and take the fish that she said had died out. I questioned a neighbor soon as I was finished I questioned a neighbor about the fish that were in the tank. At first he said there were no others. Then he said there were a couple angel fish. I suspect these were large angel fish because the scales I've found are very large and I know fish scales from cleaning them. This is 5/8" x 3/8". I have no idea what this gentleman was doing with all these giant fish in this small tank but he's gone and we're here now with Nui and Li'i.

I've been taking out gravel and carbon everyday... It is obvious the carbon just flowed out of the filter as it was all on that side of the tank. We didn't know so it got all mixed up. And evidently I don't have a strong enough syphon as I can't suck it up as someone advised I do. All together it was about 1.5" - 2" of substrate in the bottom.

What should I do? I don't have any idea how long this fish has been decomposing or how long it took for it to happen to this degree where all that's left are the scales and bones. I'm just so extremely sad and hurt for the fish that were and very much so for Nui and Li'i and all they've had to live through. IT is a nightmare.

mmm, I'll just close here, GF
(((((thank you)))))
GoldenFeather

Re: Newly Adopted & Ill Eupterus - re: ?? tank problem ??

Post by GoldenFeather »

Hi again,

I got depressed and forgot to post my question regarding the new tank. As I've been cleaning the white chalky/filmy stuff off with the razor blade, I've come across something that's sent up a possible red flag. At the seams of the glass, I can see that this chalky stuff has worked its way between the glass ends. They rest side by side at the corners... a nice clean bluish tint to the glass from that corner angle. I don't see any glue... don't know how they do it. But I can see this stuff growing into it. One of the corners shows that its grown all the way through.

The guy I bought it from claimed it didn't leak and was in good condition. I didn't know what to look for or would have asked him about it. It's just logical to me, that this could weaken the hold. Am I wrong? I hope I am actually. If I'm not. If this poses a threat of leak or just breaking apart; is there a way to repair it now? Or prevent it? I've seen some tanks where there's glue, well Nui and Li'i's 10 gallon has it... the glue is rubbery and is obviously come from a tube to seal the glass ends (sides and sides to bottom) together. I was wondering if this glue is available and if I should actually glue this tank before using it?

Our Thanks to All,
GF
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

On your first post, re finding fish bones I wouldn't worry too much on that. Remove them as you find them.

I can only imagine what sludge is in that gravel, it is gravel right?

So I am gathering they are still in the original ten gal?

You say you've been feeding algae wafers and flake? Your syno will want defrosted bloodworms, tubifex, shrimp. Hikari carnivore tabs, sinking earthworm sticks etc.

When you move them I'd be tempted to put all new substrate in the new tank, then when the old tank is emptied I'd rinse some of the disgusting gravel in dechlorinated water and add some of that to the new tank. Even tho sludgy it will have good bacteria. You can putit in the toe of a new pantyhose, or an new knee high, tie if ott and cut off the excess and put that in the tank , maybe a few of them, where it will get hit by the filter flow.

Have you been gravel vac'ng bit by bit? getting some sludge out?

I do not know about the zeo lite i have never used it. what's it's purpose?

All those fish in a ten have had a probably very horrific life, poor things.

They'll be wonderful with you!

I do not know about the tank sealing, sorry, someone will come help.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Well, dead fish remains would explain poor water conditions and indeed also how the two heroes managed to live without (given) food for so long. If it were me I'd turn the gravel over by hand during water changes and siphon off the messy water. A good filter and regular water changes will normalise it soon enough.

Don't worry about the tank silicone, just don't clean right into the corners of the old tank. I have rarely seen a tank that's had water in it for some time leak except ones that have been moved with water in them.

Jools
GoldenFeather

Post by GoldenFeather »

Jools wrote: Don't worry about the tank silicone, just don't clean right into the corners of the old tank. I have rarely seen a tank that's had water in it for some time leak except ones that have been moved with water in them.

Jools
Just a quicky here.. then I'll go back and begin with Andy's positive post. Thanks you guys.

I've been researching in the Tank Talk archives regarding the sealing. I found a great multi-threaded thread on resealing big tanks. One of the initial and recurring steps listed in the resealing instructions posted by various members directs the person to "remove the old silicone from the corners". I assume this is the clear like rubbery stuff on the seams in the 10 gallon I have? The 55 doesn't have any. Has it been removed? I see repeated scratch marks on the corners as if someone has worked there with the wrong tool. Or do some glass tanks not have it?

More next post on this...

Hero's indeed, I'm surrounded by them!
TG, GF
GoldenFeather

Post by GoldenFeather »

andywoolloo wrote:..fish bones...I can only imagine what sludge is in that gravel, it is gravel right?
I do wish I had photo-journaled things from that beginning point forward. It was just too upsetting that day tho' to even think clearly. We could barely see Nui, just a brownish fish somewhat sizable. And we didn't see Li'i at all.
So I am gathering they are still in the original ten gal?
Yes, I'm ashamed to say, they are still in the 10g. I've now a couple more technical concerns spending some time in the Tank Talk archives. And I still don't understand the small filter. I'm going to hook it up to their dedicated 5 gal bucket today to see if I can figure something out. It's the media. I've been looking for a chart depicting parts or something. The only media with that one is the giant sponge that was stuck in the bottom of the well. I can only guess but I think there must be some fibrous media to go with it also. In the whisper the sponge is placed first looking in from the front of the tank – with the bio-bag on a cartridge/frame firmly behind it. This makes sense to me. I can see how and why it works well as a filter. (I think it works well???)

I was encouraged last week encouraging when someone said that the Tetra Whisper media fit the Aqua Techs perfectly – but speaking to the 30-60 not the smaller one which is either a 15-20?) or 20-40? However, putting that info together with your creative media usage you shared I'm confident I can come up with a good solution. I just need to know how that one's supposed to work. Do you (or anyone) have experience with the fat sponge media at the base of the filter? There is a collapsable 3-sided basket that is used to pull media out (I think). It has grid-holes on sides and bottom for water flow. And when completely sunk, there is perhaps 1/8" for the current to pass under and in but next to nothing on the sides. I'm hoping you're familiar with this type so you can let me know what to make and where to put it in regards the basket and sponge. BTW, the sponge looks good. No deterioration, zero dried sludge... and fairly firm still.

The sponge of the 40-60 filter is not so good I think. It doesn't look like a water filter sponge. I recognize the material from a different type of filtration system But can't recall what it was used for. And, there's only one and it calls for two. I happen to have two new Tetra sponges. Do you think these would work? They fit. Do you think its alright if I use it or modify them to large one?
You say you've been feeding algae wafers and flake? Your syno will want defrosted bloodworms, tubifex, shrimp. Hikari carnivore tabs, sinking earthworm sticks etc.

Thanks Andy... I've got Hiraki Bio-Pure Freeze Dried Bloodworms, and their Sinking Carnivore Pellets are on the way finally. He doesn't like the Tetra Doromin, maybe it's the brand??? And I'll order others soon. He had some frozen Brine Shrimp for once-in-awhile treats only, but I left them out and they went bad. He LOVED!!! them. When I first gave them to him, was the first time I saw him come alive. Really Alive! I think he probably gained some real hope in that moment too. Animals in general Fish et al included, place great value on their food and I imagine have some measurement for life by it. So we definitely want more of that.

I have a question re: feeding Nui. He had also shown great exuberance for the HFD Bloodworms the first day I fed them to him. I'll post the foto later. At the time I wasn't thinking about water chemistry but rather his boney structure. So I had put in quite a bit that first time – the worms being so tiny tiny and all too. I cut the diet almost right after this. But now, he doesn't want to eat from the surface, definitely has holding a preference for bottom feeding. Any ideas? Also, the bloodworms aren't as fragrant as the Brine Shrimps and I suspect his vision was damaged by bad water over the past half year +. Have any wisdom regarding surface feeding anyone?
When you move them I'd be tempted to put all new substrate in the new tank, then when the old tank is emptied I'd rinse some of the disgusting gravel in dechlorinated water and add some of that to the new tank. Even tho sludgy it will have good bacteria. You can putit in the toe of a new pantyhose, or an new knee high, tie if ott and cut off the excess and put that in the tank , maybe a few of them, where it will get hit by the filter flow.
Good advice I'm sure, I'll do it. But after I sort out all the carbon that had flown into the tank. Over half the substrate gravel is carbon. I've refrigerated substrate material I've removed. Will it still be alive? Do you know its mortality rate
Have you been gravel vac'ng bit by bit? getting some sludge out?
Yes... I gravel vac some every day. Being a couple inches there's been quite a bit in there. The first day we got them we rinsed it all after using the substrate to clean a very thick coat of algae off the glass. But it wasn't clean still. I am always amazed with what comes out of it. This is why I just decided to start removing both gravel and carbon this week. And, there is something the size of sand, the color of bone – kina chalky, but oddly shaped – stuff, I haven't been able to get out of there. I have no idea what it is. It's at the very bottom... especially in the forward corner across from the filter. Any ideas? I don't think I can get it out without dumping the tank completely.
I do not know about the zeo lite i have never used it. what's it's purpose?
Zeolite is a mineral and it absorbs Ammonia. That's it. It doesn't transmute it or anything. Just absorbs. So far okay... not skyrocketing and I haven't changed water to see if these help at least stablize a little little bit.
All those fish in a ten have had a probably very horrific life, poor things.

They'll be wonderful with you
[/quote]

Thank You Thank You Thank You... With all You Guys' Wisdom & Help They'll be able to be wonderful at last... soon, soonest possible, GF
GoldenFeather

Re: Newly Adopted & Ill Eupterus - Foto

Post by GoldenFeather »

It's Raining Bloodworms!  Yeah!!!
It's Raining Bloodworms! Yeah!!!
Nui passes on some happiness...

This picture's for all you who've been helping... his little suckermouth's so cute!

Photo: Nui eating HirakiFD Bloodworms for the first time 12/2010

GF
ginagv
My cats species list: 5 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Arizona, USA

Post by ginagv »

I have been following your story here since it started.. and I am totally engrossed. BLESS you for saving these poor babies..

They held on for a reason, and it must have been their destiny to be with you.

Gina
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Re surface feeding. In my opinion, they're more likely to do it if hungry. So, if they don't do it then they're not so hungry. All that said, it doesn't matter where they eat as long as they do. Remove this behaviour from the "worry list" - it's just something they do!

Jools
GoldenFeather

Re: Newly Adopted & Ill Eupterus - re: thank you

Post by GoldenFeather »

ginagv wrote:I have been following your story here since it started.. and I am totally engrossed. BLESS you for saving these poor babies..

They held on for a reason, and it must have been their destiny to be with you.

Gina
Hi Gina! Thank you for sending this note of support. It means a whole lot to us. How great to think that their story might give some heart to others. It's so nice to hear that you've actually read all of this. I figured most people checked it out and then move on etc. hmph

Nui & Li'i are such incredible little beings. I want to write a Children's book based on their story... Receiving your post just so encourages. I first had this idea when I began trying to share their plight and our many needs with Planet Catfish... And Planet Catfish has a major role in it...???

Nui's smile above is just precious & funny isn't it? Actually looks like he's smiling. Please consider it for you personally too! I can't believe this "catfish" experience! He's so responsive and personable. The other evening when he came to my hand in the tank while cleaning gravel – I held still for him, he'd rub up against it and swam very small circles around it – I really think he wanted to be petted. My had was cupped and he'd swim right through between thumb and palm, no worries. I could have held him I think. But then he sucked my thumb and I got scared (haha)... Anyway... They're precious. Li'i stands on his fins and wiggles like a puppy when he's getting attention. I never knew fish were like this.

Thanks so much again Gina.. and ditto for anyone else who's been reading their story.
GF
GoldenFeather

Post by GoldenFeather »

I did a water change this a.m. And I forget if it was Jools or Naturalart, but you were right. The Nitrites have returned... It scared me because I don't know yet how to interpret it.

• 8:00 a.m.
  • pH - 6.0 ; Am - .50(+/+) ; NO2 - .25(+) ; NO3 - 20(+)
• 9:00 a.m. 25% water change

• 12:00 noon
  • pH - 6.8; Am -.50(-) ; NO2 - 0(+/+) ; NO3 - 10(+)
*I think its most difficult to make an accurate color determination between the Nitrate/NO3 10 & 20 - oranges. I just don't see much of a difference at all...

Thank you you guys for having me do these water changes. They make a huge difference for them – gargantuan! Nui was breathing 136 x's per minute at the end of that period. I was so frightened I couldn't tell you... afraid of??? And Li'i...? I couldn't even get a count on him, but it was moving his entire body just to breathe. Both made the bubbles their homes. Li'i at the surface directly in the airstone bubbles. And nui in the filter bubbles...midway between surface and substrate, laying sideways so the air would go directly into his gills... at least that's what I was figuring the reason was. They spent their entire days and nights like this, unless it was time to eat. I should say that this wasn't a long period but a good three days building up to it. They haven't done it since their first big water change... Because of you.
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

adorable picture of him!! keep up the good work! :YMHUG:

:YMAPPLAUSE:

also watch out his top fin doesnt poke you, I have read on here that that may be painful. Not on purpose I think, I 'll see if I can find the link.

My syno euptera are very inquisitive and wishkery. their big eyes and whiskers and mouths are just so cute!
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

GoldenFeather

Post by GoldenFeather »

andywoolloo wrote:adorable picture of him!! keep up the good work! :YMHUG:

:YMAPPLAUSE:

also watch out his top fin doesnt poke you, I have read on here that that may be painful. Not on purpose I think, I 'll see if I can find the link.

My syno euptera are very inquisitive and wishkery. their big eyes and whiskers and mouths are just so cute!
Hi Andy,

If you have some up I'd love to see some photos of your Eupterus? Since you're experienced with them, are you able to guess an age for Nui? Also, have yours sucked your fingers? Is it a harmless thing? They don't have teeth right? I think I read somewhere ?? of a catfish that did have teeth, but I could be mistaken. I'd like to let him check me out but have some hesitance. I'm a scardy cat.

BTW, since we've rescued Nui, his Barbles have grown quite noticeably. Are the two different types of them named differently? I think of the long top single ones as "whiskers" and the others with the multiple branching as "barbles". I've just thought of them that way, are they all called "barbles"? Do they both have the same function(s)?

I'd love to hear some stories and things about Syno Eupterus' that others have? I think Naturalart has one or some? I think he mentioned at one point a feeling of partiality towards them, tho' I could be mistaken.

And yes, I AGREE, they are the Cutest! GF
GoldenFeather

Post by GoldenFeather »

andywoolloo wrote: My syno euptera are very inquisitive and wishkery. their big eyes and whiskers and mouths are just so cute!
Andy, I love your Syno Eupterus' tank... it looks like something Nui would love, feel secure. The same for Mats No 1 tank. Hopefully we'll be able to set something up he'll feel safe in... will take some time. Great tanks all...

GF

Return to “Speak Easy”