L46 and the Belo Monte dam

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Re: L46 and the Belo Monte dam

Post by Janne »

catfish-john wrote:Like most forum members here I am not very familiar with Brazilian laws and bureaucracy on breeding projects and therefore much appreciate any additional information you may have which helps widening our understanding.
I'm sure you have similar laws and bureaucracy in Australia as they have in Brazil if you want to exploit animals in the nature in your country, special if they have some sort of protection. The differences may be that they have lower knowledge concerning breeding ornamental fish and the fact that these species falls under other laws. The illegal activities from smuggling fish from Brazil to Peru and Colombia make the situation not better, not either fisherman, suppliers and exporters in Brazil that not care as long they make money and are engaged in this activity.
Bas Pels wrote:The basic problem with bureaucracy is that it is distrust.
catfish-john wrote:I wish to be more specific on one point - just as a matter of interest, the Brazilian Government obviously allows & grants licenses to local fish collectors for the export of all sorts of wild caught tropical fish species for the enjoyment of fish keepers worldwide.
Partly true, everyone needs to have a license from fishermen that collect to companies that export the fish. Not all fish species is allowed, Brazil have a positive list of species permitted for export within the ornamental trade.
catfish-john wrote:The Government would make even more money by selling additional licences to professional breeders (in this case identical to fish collectors) to export their local bred fish species to meet worldwide demand.
If someone wants to breed fish for the ornamental trade and export, they must have a special license for the species they breed and export.
catfish-john wrote:Such breeding program would dramatically reduce the number of species collected from their natural habitat and at the same time make available plenty of ornamental fish of all kinds for export bred under strictly controller and very similar conditions like in their natural habitat.
The absolutely outstanding breeding program is Mother Nature itself; it has no environmental bi-effects like over collecting of fish or use of Soya to produce fish food or pollution from both the breeding itself and the factories that produce the fish food. Collecting in the nature create an incitement for local people and increase the value for this part where they are collected, it also increase the awareness of nature that would be completely lost if there was no income connected to WC fish. Commercial breeding has nothing of these advantages but can be a supplement for species that are threatened or are at risk to get extinction in nature, of some reason these species is not allowed to be collected and exported.
A larger breeding project for one special species like H. zebra (or other species in the same situation) could serve both the commercial trade and a preservation program; there are no interests from Governmental, NGO’s etc. to invest in such program by their own to preserve a fish species that may get extinction in nature after they have built the Belo Monte dams. That’s the reason I started with a project 2007 to involve all parts, both official and private interest because if you can make money it’s much easier to find someone willing to invest in such project.
catfish-john wrote:Look, at some point in time in the future the number of fish species collected from the natural waters will go down towards zero anyway due to over-collection (read: excessively increasing demand world-wide), this dam project and others which will most certainly follow and dramatically changing water qualities due to rising population etc... Wouldn't it come very handy for the Government to still have the extra revenue from licenses granted for breeding programs??
The worldwide increasing demand of ornamental fish are served by bred fish from Asia and few countries in Europe, wild caught fish from South America is rapidly decreasing and without knowing I think it’s the same for WC from Africa. If a fresh water species of fish will get extinct in nature it will not be from over collecting for the ornamental trade. I do agree that everyone would benefit from breeding programs under certain circumstances, government would not only make extra revenue from licenses, they would also preserve a species domed in nature and increase their income from export taxes. Maybe they could use some of this income for other conservation or preservation projects?
catfish-john wrote:The Government would earn on licenses, local collectors engage in sustainable breeding programs and keep up their income, and the world-wide community of fish keepers would have sufficient numbers of ornamental fish available to chose from.
It's a WIN-WIN situation for everybody involved.
Brazil is a large country, 8 511 965 km² even bigger then Australia 7 692 024 km2.
1. The infrastructure in large parts of the country is very low or not existing.
2. The education level is very low except in some southern parts of Brazil.
3. The fact there is no tradition in breeding fish for the ornamental trade.
4. Only few fish species is suited to breed locally, most species is caught far away from civilization and or demands higher technology and knowledge not locally available.
5. If breeding a species of fish locally, how to control the breeder not mix or use wild caught fish?
6. Not possible to use the water from the river without building an infiltration facility before the water is released back to nature and finally the river.
7. Only fish species that can be breeding in ponds can be used using rainwater, will limit the amount of species suited for the ornamental trade.
I can probably give 100’ds of reasons and the fact that the breeding of most species of fish can only be made under controlled forms both by the breeders and the authorities that possess the right knowledge, not too far away from an airport that can be used for export. Like all manmade activities it can never be a win-win situation, just temporary.
macvsog23 wrote:Sadly it not is the aquatics trade that is threatening the fish but in my opinion a system were by people exploit the aquatics trade by imposing a ban on species and then allow under the table exporting.
Not true, the people that exploit the aquatic trade is not the same people that ban some fish species. The authorities in Brazil don't allow any "under the table export".
macvsog23 wrote:As for the greed principle sure the greed of the multi nationals produces more profits and more cash than the greed of the man on the street but it is driven by the man on the street. If the man on the street did not want a bigger cheaper car then the multi nationals would just make the same car at the same price. We have driven this apocalyptic crazy system.
Greed is what sets us apart from the other animals.
I agree, but a Mini Cooper in Sweden cost at least 1 year salary for the average person (after taxes) and not 1/3... so maybe Mr. Ford love us anyway :YMHUG:
Clear facts, in Altamira, Vitoria and Belo Monte plus the area around affected by the Belo Monte dam lives ~70.000 people that already have electricity, not sure how they will benefit from the world’s 3rd largest hydropower electric plant.

Janne
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

In the UK, a new Mini will cost £11800 (list price), which is noticably more than 1/3 of Median income before tax (£18500), and roughly all of the after-tax income (20% Tax, 10% National insurance = £5550 -> £12950) [I think there's some deductions on the tax, so there will be a bit more left over].

If we use the mean income, there's a bit more (since there are some people that earn really big income, which pushes the value above the median).

Unless everyone else in this country have had 50% increase in salary since 2007-2008, which is the data I'm using for the above, and they forgot me - my salary has risen about 0% since 2007-2008 Tax Year.

--
Mats
macvsog23
Location 1: UK

Post by macvsog23 »

Sure a new mini will cost a bit mainly because its now a sports car with a lot of extras but a utility car and that is what a mini was in 1960,s (no Radio no handles for the doors no servo brakes a heater that worked at best once a week I know I had a few) is just under £6000 my wife brought one. use any item mars bars cloths what you want it is now as cheap as chips in fact use chips one bag of chips in 1970 cost 10 pence or less now they are £1:00 so x 10. Now wages 1970 mine were £5: now a child who starts work will get £100 on average x 20. PDQ. I know little brats who at the age of 14 get that a week of mummy and daddy for just spending and they are working people not the "Toffs"
No way round it we are greedy not as individuals but as a race the white man is the pits. As would all groups of people given the opportunity.
That is why nature must stop us ASAP.
In general its biological suicide that we are running. Our destruction is sullen and churlish not the purposeful destruction of the noble barbarian but a low cunning offensive greed destruction not to live but to fulfil some TV driven fools paradise.

Pip Pip Chaps
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:11, p:203)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

All. Could we keep this on topic please - you don't just have to post because someone else did. ;-)

Jools
macvsog23

Post by macvsog23 »

Sorry but I thought the topic was mans wanton destruction of the Amazon, and its cause?
But i will now stopp posting on this matter.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Something actually relevant to the thread:
The President of IBAMA (Brazil's environment organisation) resigns over teh Belo Monte dam:
http://www.internationalrivers.org/en/node/6108

--
Mats
macvsog23

Post by macvsog23 »

MatsP wrote:Something actually relevant to the thread:
The President of IBAMA (Brazil's environment organisation) resigns over teh Belo Monte dam:
http://www.internationalrivers.org/en/node/6108

--
Mats
And he will be replaced by a person who has the interests of ?? at heart.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I'm not saying the new president will be "better", but it certainly delays the proceedings of the approval of the envrionmental license at least until a new president has been appointed - and this new president presumably will not IMMEDIATELY approve the license.

For certain, it's more bad for the Belo Monte dam investors than it is bad for those who want to keep the river flowing freely.

--
Mats
macvsog23

Post by macvsog23 »

Let us hope for happiness
catfish-john
Location 2: Australia

Post by catfish-john »

Bas Pels wrote:@ Catfish-John

The basic problem with bureaucracy is that it is distrust. If I get a permit to breed fish and than sell them, close to their original origin, how do you know I did breed al lthe fish I intent to sell? I might have collected half of them in the wild - and nobody will know.

In order to be certain, governments tend to prevent such risks.

Stupid, but bureaucracy is stupid

Let's assume the dam was built and there are no more wild Zebras any more because of that.
Local fishermen wouldn't be able to earn their income as no Zebra (and many more other species) are gone.
Woulodn't it be too bloody lovely if at least they could earn some income by BREEDING these species and selling them overseas??

Somebody said so rightfully that the local people living from the river and nature will never spoil their environment as they value river and nature. THIS MAKES A TERRIBLE LOT OF SENSE TO ME!!!

And yes, every bureaucracy is stupid. Here I fully agree with you.

Cheers
Catfish-John
catfish-john
Location 2: Australia

Post by catfish-john »

@ Janne

You are right in saying that not all local fish will not easyly breed in captivity because it requires a lot of technical equipment to provide nature-like environment. But A LOT of local species could very well be breed. And this is the chance the local should take up and go for it!
And please don't split hair in saying that it may be unavoidable that every now and then some WC fish may be added to the breeding program... SO WHAT - that increases the quality of the local bred fish immensely! As long as it in the odd one AND NOT GOING TO BE EXPORTED I wouldn't mind at all!

Let's not forget the self-healing effect of nature. I have seen local fishermen eating Discus and I was very astonished. Simply because I counted the Dollars this BBQ would have cost a European fish keeper. But this is the wrong approach. The locals eat what is in the river in from of their yard! Be it discus or Piranha or whatever.

Cheers
Catfish-John
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

catfish-john wrote:But A LOT of local species could very well be breed. And this is the chance the local should take up and go for it!
If we are talking about species living in Rio Xingu that will be affected by the dams, there will only be a few species that could be bred by local people. If we are talking about species living in small tributaries like creeks and ponds in the rain forest, better to protect these areas and harvest what nature natural will produce in a sustainable way even if these species would be more suited to breed by the local people.
catfish-john wrote:And please don't split hair in saying that it may be unavoidable that every now and then some WC fish may be added to the breeding program... SO WHAT - that increases the quality of the local bred fish immensely! As long as it in the odd one AND NOT GOING TO BE EXPORTED I wouldn't mind at all!
I don't split hair, this is the view of the authorities on this issue and not mine, IBAMA will never say "so what" nor any other authority.
The only way to succeed with any kind of breeding project when you exploit the nature is to have everyone with you and follow the law, if not there will never be any project.

Janne
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

macvsog23 wrote:And he will be replaced by a person who has the interests of ?? at heart.
I doubt the politicians will make the mistake of placing someone who cares about the environment on that post again.
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --
Donald
My cats species list: 30 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Norway

Post by Donald »

IBAMA approved the clearing of forest at the planned site for the Belo Monte hydroelectric plant.
Kind regards, Terje.
macvsog23

Post by macvsog23 »

I have just watched a program on TV about this area and the large catfish that use some of the areas as a migratory route. Native fishing takes place along these routes.
Using very simple traps and spears. Thus allowing the amount of food taken to be of low impact, they will suffer and possibly become extinct along with the fish.

Just fine and dandy then we have now wiped out god knows how many number of animals due to our greed and short sightedness now we will remove the food supply to the local people,
grokefish
My images: 3
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

What tv show was that and what channel dude?
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
macvsog23

Post by macvsog23 »

one of the cable ones called extreem fishing or some thing like that
they were pulling RTC out of the water the size of a adult human
matthewfaulkner
I've donated: $61.00!
My images: 42
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Spotted: 26
Location 1: Wales
Location 2: UK
Interests: Panaque

Post by matthewfaulkner »

Can anyone comment on the effects of fish levels where dams in the Amazon have already been built?
Matthew
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

matthewfaulkner wrote:Can anyone comment on the effects of fish levels where dams in the Amazon have already been built?
That's clearly a complicated matter to determine concisely.

The NUMBER of actual individual fish (or amount of weight) of fish may for example increase, but the variety (biodiversity) is likely to go down, because most of the dam is one large, slow-moving, body of water, rather than a combination of fast-flowing and riffles, along with slower sections, etc. The habitat diversity in a big dam is much less diverse than the same section of river...

Here's a paper (I haven't read it) that discusses some consequences of building dams in rivers.

--
Mats
bamboosticks
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Bradford

Post by bamboosticks »

Am I justified in shouting hallelujah?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12586170

Yay.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

It's a step in the right direction, but there are strong forces FOR the dam, and they have a HUGE amount of money after all, the company that is building the dam will be paid some $10-20 billion or so - so 1% of the "invoice" for is $100-200 million - that's a pretty huge amount of money - and most companies at this level won't mind "giving" a small part of a percent to someone for "fixing" a problem...

Unfortunately, I doubt it will stop the plans for very long...

--
Mats
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

And the saga continues:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-15102520

Brazil judge halts work on Belo Monte Amazon dam

A judge in Brazil has ordered a halt to construction of a multi-billion-dollar dam project in the Amazon region.

Judge Carlos Castro Martins barred any work that would interfere with the natural flow of the Xingu river.

He ruled in favour of a fisheries group which argued that the Belo Monte dam would affect local fish stocks and could harm indigenous families who make a living from fishing.
Elwood
My cats species list: 18 (i:6, k:0)
My BLogs: 7 (i:4, p:119)
Spotted: 3
Location 2: Milano, Italy

Post by Elwood »

Linus_Cello wrote:And the saga continues:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-15102520

Brazil judge halts work on Belo Monte Amazon dam

A judge in Brazil has ordered a halt to construction of a multi-billion-dollar dam project in the Amazon region.

Judge Carlos Castro Martins barred any work that would interfere with the natural flow of the Xingu river.

He ruled in favour of a fisheries group which argued that the Belo Monte dam would affect local fish stocks and could harm indigenous families who make a living from fishing.
Good news!!!! :YMPEACE: :YMPEACE:
bsmith
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: St.Louis, MO

Post by bsmith »

SCORE!!! :YMHUG:
lotsabettas
Location 1: Pa, USA
Location 2: Pittsburgh
Interests: reptiles, animals

Post by lotsabettas »

Thats awesome news :D Hopefully it will result in a full stop not just a temporary reprieve
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Brazil Minister Says Belo Monte Halt Likely To Be Overturned

By Diana Kinch and Paulo Winterstein
Published September 30, 2011 | Dow Jones Newswires

RIO DE JANEIRO -(Dow Jones)- Brazil's Environment Minister Izabella Teixeira said Friday that she expects an injunction blocking work on the Belo Monte to be overturned, allowing construction of the dam to move forward.

Earlier this month a judge suspended construction of the dam on behalf of a fishermen's association in the Amazon region of the Xingu River, where the 11,200 megawatt dam is being built. The judge said that work on the dam itself was prohibited, but allowed continued work on construction site preparation since that didn't interfere with the river's navigability and fishing activity.

Teixeira said that neither her ministry or the environmental regulator Ibama had been notified about the injunction, but she said she was certain it would be overturned.

According to Teixeira, the dam is in accordance with all Brazilian laws and was duly licensed without government interference.

Environmentalists and other opponents of the dam say it will severely alter the livelihood of nearby indigenous communities and force the removal of thousands of families from the region.
Every fish taken from the big bend before they eradicate them is one more fish saved. Save enough individuals and its likely a species saved from extinction.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol

Post by racoll »

Every fish taken from the big bend before they eradicate them is one more fish saved. Save enough individuals and its likely a species saved from extinction.
Couldn't disagree more. I know this has been discussed before, but perhaps it's worth mentioning again.

The anti-dam lobby need to speak with a united voice, and this means respecting IBAMA and the law! The aquarium hobby could really not do with being the "bad guys" here. Upsetting IBAMA with this kind of nonsense is a sure-fire way to get more species banned.

Taking fishes out of the river is simply supplying pets for the pet trade. It does not provide any meaningful conservation value whatsoever.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

All I know is that the only way zebra plecos will survive the dam is via captive breeding across the world in the tanks of hobbyists.

IBAMA is useless imo. They will do nothing to protect anything.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

All I know is that the only way zebra plecos will survive the dam is via captive breeding across the world in the tanks of hobbyists.
Could you explain this? The most basic tenet of collecting is "once caught, never returned." Do people think that the Brazilian government is going to someday start buying plecos back from US and European hobbyists as part of some restocking program?

I really am not trying to be argumentative, but as Racoll said, every fish removed is just another item to be bought and sold in the aquarium trade. I don't see the link with conservation.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol

Post by racoll »

[IBAMA] will do nothing to protect anything.
I can't agree with this either.

I'm sure IBAMA are doing everything in their power to get the dam project stopped. The problem is, they don't have a lot of power, and that isn't their fault. After all, they are employed by the people who are backing the dam ...

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”