Pictures of Pseudohemiodon laticeps

Incorrect ID? New info to be added, taxonomic revisions and any kind of changes to the data we currently hold in here please!
Norman
My images: 55
My cats species list: 40 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 13 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:130)
Spotted: 25
Location 1: Brunswig - Germany
Location 2: Germany
Interests: Loricariinae

Pictures of Pseudohemiodon laticeps

Post by Norman »

Hi,

Actually there is no correct picture of Pseudohemiodon laticeps inside Cat-eLog.
All pictures shows P. platycephalus.

The headshape P. laticeps at the 'rostrum' is a little bit concave, so there is a little 'nose' at the tip.
At P. platycephalus this headshape is everywhere a little bit convex.
I made a drawing of the headshapes of both species. I hope this will carify the problem.
p_.jpg
p_.jpg (6.36 KiB) Viewed 917 times
I had a look to the pictures of P. platycephalus and think that the first 2 pictues (from Pier Aquatics) eventually could be P. laticeps. The head is very broad and the tip of the rostrum is slightly formed like a little 'nose'.

so long
Norman
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Pictures of Pseudohemiodon laticeps

Post by Jools »

Aside from Norrie's excellent artwork, it's difficult to put the difference between these two species into lay English. So, here's a go for whomever picks this up and makes the changes. I am confident in Norrie's assesment and would also think that the 2 Pier Pics he mentions should go into P. laticpes.

When viewed from above, P. laticpes and P. platycephalus both have broad triangular heads relative to their congeners. P. laticeps has a marginally concave profile with an indistinct knob shape at its apex. In P. platycephalus the apex of the triangular head is just that and comes to a point.

Jools

Return to “Cat-eLog data issues”