FYI Marineland Stealth Pro heater withdrawl

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

FYI Marineland Stealth Pro heater withdrawl

Post by PlecoCrazy »

FYI, I received this email from Petsmart. Not sure what is going on with there heaters but doesn't sound good. I can just see myself walking into Petsmart with a armful of heaters. I wonder why the heaters below 100 watt's isn't on the list?

February 11, 2011

Dear Valued PetSmart Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At PetSmart, we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.
-Trent
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: FYI Marineland Stealth Pro heater withdrawl

Post by MatsP »

Because the under 100W heaters aren't affected by whatever is wrong with the over 100W heaters? I can't say, but it's not entirely unusual for products to have different components in different models of heaters, and I suspect it's one part of the heater that is common between the heaters listed, but not in the lower-end heaters [or perhaps it works with a lower load - if it's a thermostatic switch, it may be affected by the current running through it, for example].

--
Mats
zipper
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: USA

Post by zipper »

Wow. I'm surprised I did not get this notice directly from Marineland... A month ago, one of my 250w stealth pro heaters exploded in my tank. Took pictures of the mess, sent it to Marineland and they replaced it with another. They actually sent me a replacement and a comparable visitherm. Never did install the new one (had to buy another heater to replace the broken one immediately) but the remaing stealth pro is still running. (I had two 250w heaters in my 100g) Time to go pull that one out!
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

I never got a notice either and i'm on their pet pals program and i recently had a stealth over heat my goldfish tank, luckily all survived.

ok almost all my tanks are those wattage ones. :-SS x(
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

mine just say stealth, not pro, is the pro on the actual heater? and i have some still in packaging that just say stealth.

so the pros are different? mine must be visi therm stealth and the others pro stealth?

how do you know which one? is it the new one they came out with that had the indicator light?

cause all mine are visi therm prior to that, i even have some in plastic still. :-SS
grokefish
My images: 3
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

I got a low level shock off of one of these heaters.
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
PlecoCrazy

Post by PlecoCrazy »

andywoolloo wrote:how do you know which one? is it the new one they came out with that had the indicator light?
The visitherm are made of glass, the stealth heaters are all black with a red turn knob, the stealth pro are a gray/black with an indicator light on the knob that lights up green and red.
-Trent
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Yeah, Big Als was tweeting about this too. Marineland isn't a brand we really see in the UK.

Jools
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

ok so then mine are fine, cause they are stealth marineland, black with red turn thing and no light up lights.

i was upset when they stopped selling the stealth and switched to the pro so i boughtmore stealths as back ups, but not enough.

and i did have a stealth malfunction also. :-S

no idea what heaters i'll buy next
PlecoCrazy

Post by PlecoCrazy »

I wouldn't be happy about having the black stealths with the red knob. I've had those heaters kill dozens of fish over the last year or two. I switched to Jager after having many problems with stealths and found the things ship with like 0 calibration. You never know what temp a new one is going to go to and odds are it won't match what you set it on if it even turns on without fiddling. I'm done with both of those manufacturers. The next heater I get I believe with be the Fluval E series.
-Trent
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

the whole heater issues really make me want to go colder fish only. lol.. very stressful to worry re heaters.

Yeah the stealths are also particular, you definitely have to watch it for many many hours, have the day off to make sure what temp it is. I 've had them set at 75 to do 78 and at 80 to do 78 and even 82 to do 78

I have never tried any other brands tho, maybe we can do a poll on here as to what heaters we all use? just to see the commonality?

how do we do that? can it be added to this thread?
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

I use mainly Visitherm heaters. They are pretty good - only one has failed, and that was my fault.

--
Mats
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

I'll have to check my heaters, but I believe I have stopped using the Stealth heaters because I've had many fail on me.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
sdm

Post by sdm »

andywoolloo wrote:mine just say stealth, not pro, is the pro on the actual heater? and i have some still in packaging that just say stealth.
so the pros are different? mine must be visi therm stealth and the others pro stealth?
how do you know which one? is it the new one they came out with that had the indicator light?
cause all mine are visi therm prior to that, i even have some in plastic still. :-SS
It's not all of them. I've got some stealth (not pro) heaters I bought around 2005 or 2006. After seeing all of this I contacted their customer service. I was told there isn't a problem with the older ones. If you get in touch with them they can tell you how to check.
bronzefry
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I talked to Ken from Ken's Fish. It's all Marineland Stealth heaters(the ones with the black plastic casings). The problem has been going on since they came out. They had major melt-downs at Roger Williams University in one of their brand new salt water breeding set ups. The plastic casings melted and bubbled, in the water.

I have all Marineland heaters and a lot of them suddenly stopped working. If you have them and they suddenly stop working, get them out of your tank immediately. The bit with the melting plastic tends to happen. Ken said something about the Visitherms, too, but I can't remember. There is very little on the Marineland website, except "Buy our new and improved heaters!" Yikes. Will let you know if I hear more.
Amanda
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

everytime i call them it's not the right hrs to call. I wish they d be more specific on their website1 x(

so then its all marineland stealth and visitherm and pro?

cause I have all old visitherm stealth.

geez,, do i remove them all , order all new other brand? i dont knwo what to do now, i 'll set an alarm to call them on monday i guess
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Marineland has not issued a recall on these heaters. The wholesalers have issued a "stop sale" notice that I assume came from Marineland. I've had both the old stealths and new pros melt out the side of the heater and shock or overheat. I love Marineland products, but I've returned more than 50 of these heaters in the last 6 months at my store. So much for me being loyal to their customer service, I guess.

Barbie
joefish72b
I've donated: $57.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 2: Florida, USA

Post by joefish72b »

PlecoCrazy wrote:FYI, I received this email from Petsmart. Not sure what is going on with there heaters but doesn't sound good. I can just see myself walking into Petsmart with a armful of heaters. I wonder why the heaters below 100 watt's isn't on the list?

February 11, 2011

Dear Valued PetSmart Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At PetSmart, we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.
I am so glad I clicked on this post, I bought one just around the time of this recall, I think in January. It's still in my tank and I never got a notice, I also am a member of the pet rewards program. Oh well, the positive is that I have an excuse to go shopping for aquarium supplies.
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

ok they have rolled out the heater recall to now include stealth and stealth pro

every one of my heaters in all my tanks are marineland stealth and all my back ups brand new in packaging are stealth... :((

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11202.html
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I am in exactly the same boat. I keep up to 6 on hand to replace those that malfunction. Just used my last spare.
Foster and Smith contacted me and sent me a return label. I have bought mine from 3 of the big on line dealers. I sent them my heaters but they called and said since I had not bought them all from them they were returning the 20 defective heaters and told me to deal directly with Marineland. They arrived a couple days ago. To say I was displeased is an understatement. Next Monday I will be sending 22 heaters to Marineland. When I get the replacements I will still have another 20 Heaters awaiting to be replaced. If they replace them all with Visatherm Heaters I will have about 2 dozen spares. I know I will need them. Visatherms are little better than the Stealths. All but Ibo-Jaeger Heaters are little more than unreliable pieces of junk. Heaters have always been the most unreliable pieces of essential equipment we fish hobbyists use.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
smitty
My cats species list: 57 (i:18, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Yeadon, Pennyslvania USA
Location 2: Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Interests: Aquariums/Bicycling/Cooking

Post by smitty »

Apistomaster has made a good point that heaters are the most unreliable piece of equipment fish hobbyist use. I think all brands have there issues and horror stories. Some just have more than others. My heater of choice is the VisiTherm and Eheims. I currently have 6 VisiTherm heaters that need to go back due to the fact they have lost there waterproof seal and I am curious if they stand by there lifetime warranty. Back in November 2010 I bought 2 Aqueon 300w heaters brand new for $5.00 a piece the store was clearing there supply of them. They have actually performed very well. It will be another option if Marineland does not do the right thing with my defective VisiTherm.
150gal- No Plecos; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC P.Heads; Eheim2217, 2260
180gal- Plecos (9): L001/L022 (1M), L023, L083/L165, L137, L190, Rhino (1M, 1F), Trinidad (2); 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; Fluval FX5
210gal- Plecos (5): L014 (2), L050; 4 AC P.Filters; 2AC P.Heads; Eheim 2250,2262; Fluval FX5;
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

thanks for your reply Larry & Smitty, i am getting more and more discouraged and am just probably going to buy what i want and throw the marineland, all 21 of them about in the trash.

first off here is another letter from drsfosterandsmith
April 20, 2011

Dear Customers,

We're contacting you with important recall information regarding your Marineland Stealth Pro Heater (25W, 50W, 75W) purchased since October, 2009. United Pet Group (UPG) has determined that a wiring problem can cause the aquarium heaters to overheat or break during normal use, resulting in property damage and posing hazards to consumers.

As a valued customer, your safety and satisfaction is our priority. Please stop using your Marineland Stealth Heater and take the following steps:

UPG will provide purchasers of the affected products your choice of a free replacement heater (Visi-Therm Deluxe) or mail you a refund check. Please contact UPG at (800) 338-4896 between 7:30 am - 5:30 pm EST Monday through Friday to begin the process.

If you'd prefer to arrange your return/refund through Foster & Smith Aquatics, or to discuss trying a Fluval M Submersible Heater as an alternate replacement instead, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-443-1160. Our friendly customer service representatives are always happy to help you, 7 am-10 pm, CST, 7 days a week.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please let us help you continue to enjoy your favorite hobby for many years to come!

Sincerely,
Customer Care Team,
Foster and Smith Aquatics
1-800-443-1160
ok my local fish guy will take back all my marinelands , approx 21 of them , and let me pick new heaters, problem is he has to be there, the owner, and that's random, and I can't have no heaters while i remove these bring them into town (20 miles) and come back? well I guess obviously i could. but my hypans? :-SS they like to be at 84.

Then I called drs foster and smith , their records only go back to 07, and i have been fishkeeping since 03. so they'd give me only 4 new heaters, which is what they show i ordered since 07, and only the same wattage as i ordered. really? cause i prob ordered 90% of mine from them!

so they d let me pick either visi therm ( by marineland, who i'm scared of now) or fluval m , which i know nothing about.

In the mean time i have a ticking time bomb of heaters in my tanks?

and drsfosterandsmith would mail me the 4 then send me a return label thing to send them 4 stealths. At least I'd have the heaters first, altho unknown what wattage they show me ordering, i ahve all diff size tank!

it's all such b.s.

they need to let us send them the old heaters and a receipt for the new ones of our choice we bought, but then thats not fair i guess. im so confused.

I ve only ever had a problem with one marineland stealth ever, almost cooked a whole tank , but only that one problem in 8 yrs

so I guess I'll take their 4, fluval-m or visitherms? from drsfosterandsmith and move on to marineland, as far as calling them on Monday.
Last edited by andywoolloo on 23 Apr 2011, 23:20, edited 2 times in total.
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

to me the most important thing is the heater, It's liek you have to have trust that it won't cook them,or stop working and make them too cold, or electrocute you or them or both.

sigh .. sorry venting!!
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

ok well i collected them all up, the ones not being used, whether for tanks not set up rt now or back ups in packaging and brought to PetSmart.. got two Fluval M50's for the two running tens, and the rest store credit. Pretty big store credit. :d have to return the two small stealths in the tens when i switch them out and get more store credit.

Then i called drsfosterandsmith and they are sending me fluval m series for the last 4 they show me buying since 07, cause apparently their computers only go back 4 yrs????? and then when those come, the big ones.. to 150's one 200 and one 300 , then i remove the big stealths from the tanks and replace with the new fluvals and then mail back the stealths , postage pre paid by fosterssmith

#:-S #:-S

only thing is i'm still running the tanks with the stealths till the fluvals come. :-SS
Last edited by andywoolloo on 24 Apr 2011, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
smitty
My cats species list: 57 (i:18, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Yeadon, Pennyslvania USA
Location 2: Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Interests: Aquariums/Bicycling/Cooking

Post by smitty »

For the short time they will be without a heater they will be fine. I definitely would not throw them away. I would send them back to marineland if things do not work out with the store owner. All these companies bank on people not returning things which allows them to keep your money for a defective product. They have a obligation to the consumer. Believe me they knew there would be issues with that heater before it went on the market but to hold it up would have put a dent in their income.
150gal- No Plecos; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC P.Heads; Eheim2217, 2260
180gal- Plecos (9): L001/L022 (1M), L023, L083/L165, L137, L190, Rhino (1M, 1F), Trinidad (2); 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; Fluval FX5
210gal- Plecos (5): L014 (2), L050; 4 AC P.Filters; 2AC P.Heads; Eheim 2250,2262; Fluval FX5;
rhibear
My cats species list: 25 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 2: Brit in Virginia USA

Post by rhibear »

Call marineland directly, they shipped me 7 visi-therm heaters and told me to return my stealth-pros after I receive the replacements. Oddly they never gave me an address to ship to and there was none in the package of visitherms that arrived within a week of my phone call, so I still have them all sitting in a box.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Send your heater(s) to:

Marineland
3001 Commerce Street
Blacksburg, VA 24060

Per telephone call to Marineland Customer Support.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

i ve never used any other heaters, so we'll see. putting the fluvals in the ten gals now. they are way longer. and shiny.
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

so the continuing saga:

got the two Fluval m50s, packaging clearly states in words and writing not to fully submerge.

prior to getting them i researched both on line, the visi therm and the fluval which the drsfosterandsmith offers as free when you send them your "withdrawn" not "recalled" stealths.

so .. everything on line as far as forums go says to submerge them, that they are fully submergible, and that fluval had to do all those intructions etc due to a canada law??

people are all yes we ve called fluval/hagan fully submersible,theres have been submerged for years etc.

but i am a bit of a stickler for directions so needless to say im a bit concerned but they are submerged and on.

even the fluval site shows video and wording that never indicates to fully submerge them. weird.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

What model of Fluval and what model of VisiTherm do you have to choose from? Most of my heaters are VisiTherm DeLuxe. The only problem I have had is when I was definitely stupid.

--
Mats

Return to “Speak Easy”