Meghamalai

For those out there encountering catfishes in the wild, post your experiences here.
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Meghamalai

Post by Shovelnose »

Meghamalai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meghamalai) is a mountain range situated near Theni, close to the Tamil Nadu / Kerala border. Been wanting to collect in this place since I heard 'bout it last year.

As luck would have it, I had to go to Theni on work. Planned to stay a day longer so I could collect here. Reached Theni on Monday (21st Feb). Was off at 4 :00 Pm to collect.

The first spot was a small stream. Collections here yielded

Devario malabaricus (???)

Travancoria Sp

Schistura cf.semiarmatus (Closest I can get with Id)

And a Garra Sp.

The substrate was primarily rocks and pebbles. No vegetation.The stream was'nt very fast flowing. All the Travancoria Sp were collected from around a boulder under a small cascade.

Meghamalai was a 4 hour drive from here. Since twas already past 6 Pm by the time collection ended, I decided to get as close to Meghamalai and halt there as ascending after dark is not recommended. Bloody elephants all around.
Stayed in a small town bout 30 kms from Meghamalai called Chinnamanoor. Not too much to write 'bout.

I didnt have Famouse Grouse for company this time. So had to stick to the local brandy. Indian whisky is only for people with brave hearts or spare eyes and kidneys. You will be lucky if you wake up with the aforementioned parts intact.

A nice dinner , fish filled sleep and a broken alarm clock later, the drive up the hill started. Now the car was a hatchback and had no clue what it was gonna face. That road would ve put a Humvee to shame. It was not a road for most parts. Just rocks and pebbles strewn 'bout pretending to be flat surfaces.A 2 hour drive for 30 kms. That should say it all.

Once at the top, we checked out the streams. 2 turned out to be empty. Pesticides again??? The third one luckily proved to be much better.

Garra Sp

Love the caudal on this one.My first impression was an Indoreonectes Sp. Sent some specimens for Id.

The spot.

This is when the damn rain gods decided to play spoil sport. Extremely heavy rain. Ran back to the car and nothing could be seen outside. Waited for sometime but had no choice but to reluctantly head back. A wet 3 hour journey later, we were back in the room.

The tea estates.

Since we hadnt had breakfast, we decided to really indulge with the lunch. Here s some pics of how my favorite food is made. (Hope Jools doesnt mind)

The making of a Parotta

Wheat flour.

It is then spread out.

Several moments of torture later, it takes this shape.

On the pan with some omelette's for company.

Bon appetit

Here s another form it can take when cut into fine pieces. Eggs,random vegetables ,sauce etc are added and then

I know it looks like it came out through the derrière of a venomous reptile but trust me, its delicious.

Definitely not for the hygiene fanatics. Only for those whose taste buds control their hands,mouths and wallets.

Lunch, a small siesta and a none too willing bath later, twas farewell time.

Meghamalai definitely warrants a 2 day trip. Lots and lotsa small hills and streams around this almost untouched area.
Soon is the only word I can think of now.

Ps : For Viktor

Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Meghamalai

Post by Birger »

Balaji...thanks once again for letting us along on your collecting trip...always interesting!

Birger
Birger
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Yes, please keep them coming!
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Ah, the picture that's worth almost a 100 words. Next time, make it a full body shot in your 3-piece Armani, Cardin tie, DeLorenza lizard shoes and a plastic sack with hand nets sticking out in one hand and the other holding another plastic sack with fish bags.

Now that could account for a 1000 words.

Good job, Balaji!
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Yes, looks like it, but there are a few synonyms and the Indian Devario need quite a bit of work to sort them out!

Beautiful location, too!
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Post by Shovelnose »

Thanks all. Any trips will be reported here as usual.
Viktor Jarikov wrote:Ah, the picture that's worth almost a 100 words. Next time, make it a full body shot in your 3-piece Armani, Cardin tie, DeLorenza lizard shoes and a plastic sack with hand nets sticking out in one hand and the other holding another plastic sack with fish bags.

Now that could account for a 1000 words.

Good job, Balaji!
Eh???? Half trousers,black T shirt, wet mud stained towel and worn out sandals sounds more like it.
racoll wrote:
Yes, looks like it, but there are a few synonyms and the Indian Devario need quite a bit of work to sort them out!

Beautiful location, too!

Stopped at a spot further downstream and managed to collect Puntius bimaculatus, P.dorsalis and a Rasbora Sp. None were bought back. Terrible planning. Didnt carry enough covers as it was sudden trip.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.

Return to “Travellers note book”