The Fish Of Coastal Massachusetts And Then Some

For those out there encountering catfishes in the wild, post your experiences here.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

The Fish Of Coastal Massachusetts And Then Some

Post by bronzefry »

Some members of our fish club set out to do some collecting in Southeast Massachusetts. Members scouted out a few areas and anticipated collecting a few Fundulus spp. and maybe some sticklebacks and/or darters. Good thing we actually go collecting, eh?

Collecting spot #1: Lafayette Park, Freetown, MA. Freshwater pond.
We were the only folks "fishing" without a boat here. A lot of loud motor boats, much too big for the pond. The first catch of the day was too easy! A bucket in the water and up came about 35 fry, unidentified(I took some home). In a bag they went. We walked around the perimeter of the pond until we hit private property and used both seines and dipnets with some success. Species caught:
1. Unidentified fry, en masse.
2. Juvenile perch
3. Funulus diaphanus, a native killie.
Above, Fundulus diaphanus, male. Females are devoid of any coloration.

Collecting spot #2: Somerset, MA; Juncture of the Assonet and Taunton Rivers at Broad Cove. Brackish water.
This spot contained the most surprises of the day. We arrived almost at low tide. We couldn't smell it, since the aroma of honeysuckle prevailed. We actually stopped to take it in. Intoxicating! Then, the reality of the tidal marsh set in. It is very easy to go from 2" of water to 6' of water in 1 step. Caution abounds. The bugs also abound. We were really only expecting to find Fundulus heteroclitus, or Mummichog and maybe some sticklebacks at this location. At first we went with dipnets, since footing was rough. We were catching medium and small sized shrimp, Asian shore crabs and small Mummichog. We came to a turn and decided it was time to break out the 20' seine. One pull of the net yielded the following:
1.Microgadis tomcod, seldom found this far south
2. Gobiosoma ginsburgi, yeah, Gobies,seldom found this far North
3. 9 spine stickleback
4. 4 spine stickleback
5. Menhaden(silversides, juvenile)
6. non stinging jellyfish, way cool!
7.mummichog
8. shrimp
9.crab

Collecting spot #3: Shad Factory Conservation Area: Rehoboth, MA; site 1, freshwater creek
Tony Terceira, the great photographer, was along with us for this collecting trip. He said if you didn't know your leaves or bird calls, this could be any nice collecting spot, anywhere. Tony and I just sat listening to bird calls while the others went into the deep tan, muck in search of Swamp/Tessellated Darters. They found not only those, but Americal eels:
No Corydoras. Kinda looks like the habitat, though.

Collecting spot #4: Shad Factory Conservation Area: Rehoboth, MA, site 2, dam and fish ladder.
Yah, I know.
Didn't see any fish in the fish ladder. We found baby eels in the water below and crayfish:

What a fun day we had and special kudos to 7 year old Hannah, daughter of club member Peter. She was a real trooper on her first collecting trip, covered in mud. Unfortunatly, she couldn't take the eel home. She was begging her dad big-time! She only wanted to go to 18 more collecting spots, but the thunder and lightning was starting. You rock, Hannah! :D
Amanda
grokefish
My images: 3
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Re: The Fish Of Coastal Massachusetts And Then Some

Post by grokefish »

Cool!
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Quite the mix of little beasties there...I especially like the Fundulus

Having a youngster or two along helps us (big kids that are often much too serious) see things differently as well, they are fun to have along.

Glad you enjoyed another collecting day.

Birger
Birger
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Great posting Amanda!
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

Thanks, folks. It's always amazing what's just an hour away from home. Massachusetts is not always known for fish diversity. But, that's why we go looking. When the waters get a bit warmer, we should find more. An indicator will be when sea mammals such as dolphins start coming up the coast. The sharks are already here, chasing the seals. Humans always think they're the targets. :roll:
Amanda
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Nice write-up, Amanda. Not even a bullhead though :( :)) Did you not come across any anglers? It's always so nice to photograph their catch.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
andywoolloo
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

amazing! what great pics and accompanying text! ty so much for sharing! cool eel!!
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

Thanks, Andy. We had a wonderful time. Our club is hoping to do something similar if the massive amounts of snow disappear. :YMDAYDREAM:
Amanda
davidkozak
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 5
Spotted: 3
Location 2: Wpg

Post by davidkozak »

thanks for sharing..I really enjoyed the pictures, and the read..David :-BD
Sue Foster
Location 2: NH

Post by Sue Foster »

I had an american eel in a 29 gallon tank as a kid. It was actually an interesting pet. Lived in the undergravel filter. When somebody approached the tank he would come up and see if dinner was served. My mother hated him so he eventually went back to the bay.

I have a small beaver pond on my property that is loaded with small bullheads (hornpout) whatever you want to call them. Only one in there I know of that's eating size. He must have washed in during river flooding. I cast a line in there once and he hit it. I was so dumbfounded at the size of him I stopped reeling and gawked. He took the moment and broke the line. Also a few small native trout and tons of dace. Probably other things in there too. I had only fished it out of shear frustration with the beaver family. Kind of a White Mountains version of Caddy Shack going on here. If anybody wants some they are welcome to have at it. Take a few beavers too!

Return to “Travellers note book”