Black Ater Breeding???? Need help.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
Dean0
Location 2: Australia Victoria

Black Ater Breeding???? Need help.

Post by Dean0 »

Hi All,

Long time reader first time poster... Just to give a bit of a background on me:

I have keep fish since I was a very young boy always been fascinated by all fish species. I currently running 6x fresh water tanks with varied species from Murry Cod to Ocars, Petenia Splendida, Ghost knives, Bala Sharks to name a few.

My question and I do hope there is someone out there that can help me here as I have been trying to breed a pair (well i think they are a pair) of large Black Ater (Neosilurus ater) pictured below in very poor quality, Sorry I will take a better picture if I get some interest in this post. These two are now over 8 years old and are about 16" to 18" madly in love so it seems to me as they never leave each other sides.
I have breed many other species of fish over the years but these two give all the signs they what to and I think I and missing a vital key that I hope someone out there has.
They are currently in a 6x2x2 Tank, PH: is smack on 7, Water temp solid at 24, They have a cave with a Slade rock bottom, good water flow plenty of air, feeding at three times a day currently on Blood Worm and Brine Shrimp. Do regular cold water changes, varying from one to two weeks apart. I have tried less and more feed over the pass few years even tried putting a Petenia in there once to fire them up but no joy. Changed light cycles, PH, Temp, raised and lowered the KH different filters currently they have two large canister filter running to cope with the large diet??? (I do know I will need to remove the canister if I can get them to lay)
There is very little on the net about them and even less in books that I have.

If any one has any ideas I would love to here them.

It may simply be I am doing nothing wrong and I have two same sex fish?

Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Black Ater Breeding???? Need help.

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Nice! Needless to say you know what Cate-Log says: In northern Australia, breeding takes place during December in shallow areas with a good water flow and a sand / gravel substrate. Eggs of about 2 mm in diameter are produced.

Are these relatively easy to sex?
Dean0 wrote:feeding at three times a day currently on Blood Worm and Brine Shrimp.
I'm surprised, may be naively. These are 1.5' fish while the food creatures are tiny - how much Blood Worm and Brine Shrimp in weight do you give them daily?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Dean0

Post by Dean0 »

I have feed these fish on many different diets in there life including live Brine shrimp, live native fresh water shrimp, live earth worms, even small live Yabbies that I was breeding for my Murray Cod.
Currently I am feeding them on frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp, the amount per day each fish is currently 4 x squares of blood worms and 2x cubes the brine from the blister packs each day. They also get a few pellets each day late a night and one day a fortnight with out food as I do for all my fish.

I don't think it is diet, I would like to be wrong but I have given them a very wide variety, the picture does not show it but they are in very good condition fat even.

This frozen diet has been going now for about 6 weeks now, I might need to rethink this current diet and try something new for them.

I posted here because I am running out of ideas to try. ~X(
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

One question. How do you know you've got a boy and a girl?

Secondly, substrate, from memory these fish are pit spawners? Maybe the substrate isn't right?

Jools
Dean0

Post by Dean0 »

Dean0 wrote:It may simply be I am doing nothing wrong and I have two same sex fish?
Jools wrote:One question. How do you know you've got a boy and a girl?
I don't know they are male and female, nor do I know how to determine the sexes of this species, if you had that information it would be a very powerful tool for me.

In there cave, again very bad picture I will try to get more today. The cave is very large with the back end piled with fine gravel and a slate base covering about 3/4 of it. From what I have read and been told that fine gravel substrate is the go but for may years of trying it has not worked so I am now trying slate base as well.

The fact may be the fist quote in this post reply
Dean0 wrote:It may simply be I am doing nothing wrong and I have two same sex fish?
I was just hoping I would get a different view from someone that has breed this species of Cat Fish.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Well, if you're only looking for replies from people who've bred this species, you may not get any info. I am unaware anyone has.

Jools

Return to “Other Catfishes”