What kind of catfish are you?

A historical forum for issues reported in the suggestions and bugs forum that have been subsequently fixed or resolved.
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

What kind of catfish are you?

Post by König Löwe »

Maybe someone could make a test where you answer some various questions and then the test determines which type of catfish you are, eg "Do you like big fat pancakes?". If you answer yes on this question, it gives you a good push in direction of being a Panaque/Hypostomus (you know, sucking on discus).

In addition to saying what kind of catfish you are, it allso could say something about you. eg Red-tail catfish "You eat most of the time, the rest of the time you go cruising around trying to impress people" or with Tridensimilis sp. (http://www.planetcatfish.com/ilibrary/t ... /775_f.htm) You are a tiny and repulsive person. Allmost nobody like you because you are extremely irritating and you are a real parasite"

Just examples.

I have neither the software or fish knowledge to do this myself, but maybe someone here on Planet Catfish are better at such things?
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

I'm the ugliest, slowest and most easy going guy around; I look innocent as treeroots; except when you fit in 1/3 of me; in wich case you're dinner...........
guess! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
König Löwe
Location 1: Bodø, Northern Norway
Interests: The "passion" for fish has subsided somewhat the last couple years, only currently keeping two corys and what might be an LDA-33, as catfish goes.

Post by König Löwe »

Innocent as treeroots? Could it be that Brachyplatystoma filamentosum Jools posted a picture of ;)
Sid Guppy

Post by Sid Guppy »

I'll just show myself then...
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Hey SG,

Still can't get <i>Lophiosilurus</i> out of your head, eh?
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

I thought you were a kindred spirit, SG!

I kept Chaca for years. Finally got so tired of never seeing them move and having to buy live food every week that I gave them away to a friend. Within a month, they were all dead.

I have a network of 6 computers at home, with each computer named after a catfish species (computers on networks need names). My primary computer is (and has always been) named "Chaca".

Dinyar
Sid Guppy

Post by Sid Guppy »

:lol:
Silurus I just want a few little things:
-a bigger home
-more tanks including a 750G or so
-a nice big fat Lophiosilurus
-and a few Synodontis granulosus to tune up that Tangtank....
SG
dinyar; if I ever see one again (they aren't available over here anymore...) I'll setup one tank for it....
michelle56
Location 1: Oklahoma
Interests: Loricariiadae because it has Plecostomus, Blue-Eyed Panaque, Twiggies, Ottos,Whiptails,Pretty Peckoltias

Post by michelle56 »

Hum..... I'am nice, loveable, and kindof cute. :roll:
I've tried to kill the pain,but only brought more(so much more) I lay dying, and I'm pouring crimson regret and betrayal I'm dying,praying,bleeding,and screaming...Am I too lost to be saved? Am I too lost? My God my Tourniquet return to Salvation, My God my Tourniquet return to me Salvation.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Dinyar wrote:My primary computer is (and has always been) named "Chaca".
I name mine after curries. I'm writing this from phal.

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

michelle56 wrote:Hum..... I'am nice, loveable, and kindof cute. :roll:
Gotta be a panda cory then.

Jools
Jools
Expert

Re: What kind of catfish are you?

Post by Jools »

König Löwe wrote:Maybe someone could make a test where you answer some various questions and then the test determines which type of catfish you are, eg "Do you like big fat pancakes?". If you answer yes on this question, it gives you a good push in direction of being a Panaque/Hypostomus (you know, sucking on discus).

In addition to saying what kind of catfish you are, it allso could say something about you. eg Red-tail catfish "You eat most of the time, the rest of the time you go cruising around trying to impress people" or with Tridensimilis sp. (http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/tr ... /775_f.htm) You are a tiny and repulsive person. Allmost nobody like you because you are extremely irritating and you are a real parasite"

Just examples.

I have neither the software or fish knowledge to do this myself, but maybe someone here on Planet Catfish are better at such things?
Actually some of the software I work with in my day job is "expert" software that does this sort of thing. OK, it's for court room proceedings and not identifying catfish, but I passed my 4th year at Uni by writing a similar system that ID'ed about 60 species of corydoras from asking you thinks like does it have a spot on the dorasl and so on. Used a lanaguage/pacakge called "leonardo" if anyone is the least bit interested. From that experience I really do know how much work this would be. A few points:

How many people would actually use it as opposed to posting pictures that we can all have fun IDing?

Why not argue out the top 50 (or 100 or 250 or whatever) catfish species and produce a key for them?

You've got to ask the question, why do we need this?

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Alos, can someone other than me or Silurus do all the leg work? I'm sure the forum middlers would have great fun working it out and testing it.

Jools
RogerMcAllen
I've donated: $35.00!
Location 1: Champaign, IL, USA

Post by RogerMcAllen »

I have no background knowledge of catfish, but I would be more than willing to be a beta tester.

Return to “All Resolved Issues”