How do you bring home fish from Brazil to the U.S.

For those out there encountering catfishes in the wild, post your experiences here.
joefish72b
I've donated: $57.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 2: Florida, USA

How do you bring home fish from Brazil to the U.S.

Post by joefish72b »

With all the crazy restrictions on planes flying in the U.S. how can you get your fish home from a collection trip? Has anyone done this recently?
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Re: How do you bring home fish from Brazil to the U.S.

Post by sidguppy »

I think this is only possible if you have all the paperwork in order; since this isn't cheap I think that's why only larger companies have the permets to do so

other countries are easier when it comes to individuals collecting fish and bringing them home; Panama, Mexico, Colombia perhaps

but Brazil ain't as easy as far as I know (which is little)
Valar Morghulis
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I'm pretty certain the "easy" method of doing this is to find a company that can export your fish on their license (aside from the obvious but illegal methods that may end with you in Brazilian jail - and I don't think that's a nice place at all).

Given that Brazil is quite a bueareucratic country, and it wouldn't surprise me if it takes months to get a license - and that you have to apply in person and pay various "service charges".

--
Mats
PseudaSmart
I've donated: $200.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 19
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My BLogs: 9 (i:10, p:310)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Michigan, USA
Location 2: Ilha do Mel, Brazil
Interests: Breeding all Pseuda's. Finding a way to beat Parkinson's Disease.

Post by PseudaSmart »

I have been working on doing this for the last three years and seven trips to southern Brazil. That aside I will give you the short bullet points. I have yet to succeed.
1. You need to get a US import/export permit. (took me 10 months the first time)
2. You need to hook up with a Brazilian exporter or someone who handles 'crazy American fishing expeditions' as they call them in Brazil. Exporters typically have large min orders to process export papers.
3. If you collect the fish yourself (a permit is needed?) or buy them in Brazil, you can take them on some carriers as checked baggage others have to go as freight.
4. You have to land in a 'Port of Entry', there are not as many due to budget cuts, with ADVANCE notice so they can have Fish and Game there. There is a minimum $100 process charge.
5. You then have to recheck the boxes if you have a connecting flight.

That is the nuts and bolts of the task. There are a lot of importers in Florida can you hookup with one?
It is a lot of work for a nubie. My last 2 trips were during the off season and the one before that the Brazilian F&W were on strike. Thru my Brazilian friends I was able to talk with exporters but there were too many obstacles at the time.
Maybe next trip.
Almost 3,000 gallons solely for raising and breeding Pseudacanthicus.
Spawned to date: L25, L65, L97, L114, L160, L185, L427, LDA07 and P. leopardus (L600).
Check out my videos at: youtube.com/c/PseudaSmart
Also on Facebook. PseudaSmart (of course!)
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

If we are dealing with the south of Brasil - these fishes will not differ much from those in Uruguay, and Uruguay is much easier where it comes to exporting fish.

I went there a few times, for contacts, see www.aqvaterra.com (slow site).

Obviously, this stil leaves the US part
cats have whiskers
joefish72b
I've donated: $57.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 2: Florida, USA

Post by joefish72b »

I was thinkig it would be nice to go out and see what I can find in the wild. Here in Florida getting an importers license is pretty easy, just fill out the papers and pay the fee. Knowing what I was going to bring home ahead of time would be a little tricky because it would depend on what I find. My biggest fear is that I get there and everyone has a hand out and I have to pay off 20 different people to get my fish home.
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

PseudaSmart wrote:I have been working on doing this for the last three years and seven trips to southern Brazil. That aside I will give you the short bullet points. I have yet to succeed.
1. You need to get a US import/export permit. (took me 10 months the first time)
2. You need to hook up with a Brazilian exporter or someone who handles 'crazy American fishing expeditions' as they call them in Brazil. Exporters typically have large min orders to process export papers.
3. If you collect the fish yourself (a permit is needed?) or buy them in Brazil, you can take them on some carriers as checked baggage others have to go as freight.
4. You have to land in a 'Port of Entry', there are not as many due to budget cuts, with ADVANCE notice so they can have Fish and Game there. There is a minimum $100 process charge.
5. You then have to recheck the boxes if you have a connecting flight.

That is the nuts and bolts of the task. There are a lot of importers in Florida can you hookup with one?
It is a lot of work for a nubie. My last 2 trips were during the off season and the one before that the Brazilian F&W were on strike. Thru my Brazilian friends I was able to talk with exporters but there were too many obstacles at the time.
Maybe next trip.
If not handled by someone else, you also need to fill out a Fish and Wildlife form (Form 3-177).
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey

Return to “Travellers note book”