HMA filtration

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
dog321fish
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: North Wales

HMA filtration

Post by dog321fish »

Hi All

What percentage of fish keepers now use HMA filtered water?

Is it inevitable we will all be forced into using them?

Your thoughts appreciated

Dave S
saor alba
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Scotland
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: L-Numbers and Tournament Poker.

Re: HMA filtration

Post by saor alba »

Hi Dave ive been using Hma and a independant pre-filter for years even althought my water is very soft low ph kh/gh the stuff that comes out tap my end is really mankey dirty water even after filteration it still leaves huge black/brown marks around the water vats every time they been emptied.

Theyve been trying to sort the problem with water carrying pipes being dirty and sewer water for years but no joy yet,apart from starting to making a new huge sewer complex at the moment and running ten,s of miles of really huge plastic looking 10-12ft dia pipework from there to a coast complex.

And as far as ive checked to see if it changes the water any not noticed anything different between tap and after filter checks in relation to ph/gh/kh.
The tank water would still crash ph wise within a day or two, if i didnt use a buffer type in there.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

half my tanks are filtered aith only these mats - including 3 @ around 1000 liters. I'm very happy with them, and would wish I had found them earlier, than almost all my tanks would be filtered with them.

I use them as inside filters, resulting in no chance of leakage. However I use 5 or more mats in a row before the water is pumped back into the tank
cats have whiskers
exasperatus2002
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 13
Location 2: allentown PA

Post by exasperatus2002 »

Whats the difference between an hma filter vs r/o or de-ionizer? This is the first time I've heard of an hma filter.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

oops

It could be a HMA filter is not a hamburger matten filter
cats have whiskers
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

HMA doesn't strip the water as heavily as RO. Based on the info I found online when I first heard of them, it's similar without the membrane. Therefore, it would only be removing what is caught by the sediment and carbon cartridges.

Larry
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
dog321fish
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: North Wales

Post by dog321fish »

Here in the UK fish keepers are fitting 2 or 3 pod HMA filters on the main water supply to purify the water the fishes are going to live in.

Below is what one of the manufacturers of HMA filters claim:

This system is a powerful, multifunctional filter for Heavy Metals Reduction. Consisting of three stages, a sediment pre-filter followed by an extruded activated carbon filter to reduce soluble lead using an ion-exchange filter medium with high specificity for soluble lead. Finally we've added the ChlorPlusTM carbon block cartridges which provides greater chloramine removal capacities than granular carbon.

Stage 1
As with most reverse osmosis systems the first stage is a 5 micron sediment removal filter which is used for the removal of sediments, dirt, sand and rust. It has an extra high capacity and is extremely durable.

Stage 2
Chemical Absorption filters offer high levels of chemical reduction in potable drinking water, including chlorine taste and odour. Particulate, Cyst and Turbidity Reduction

Stage 3
Carbon block cartridges which provides a high level chloramine removal capacity

Lead Reduction Capacity 2500 Gallons

Chlorine Reduction Capacity 100000 Gallons

Chloramine Reduction Capacity 2500 Gallons
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

pleco_breeder wrote:HMA doesn't strip the water as heavily as RO. Based on the info I found online when I first heard of them, it's similar without the membrane. Therefore, it would only be removing what is caught by the sediment and carbon cartridges.

Larry
I share the same understanding about HMA filtration.
It is not as widely used in the States. RO/DI units are probably the most widely use water purification system used in the States. HMA is certainly better than nothing and as I understand it there is no waste water. With using RO/DI units you only get a yield of 15 to 25 percent pure water depending on the mineral content of the source water, the water pressure and temperature.
Production efficiencies drop drastically as the source water temperatures drop. Right now it is so warm here that my cold tap water is close to 70*F/21*C and my 2 connected 55 US gal barrels reservoir quickly refill. In the depths of winter when my water temperatures are about 57*F/~14*C it seems to take 2 times as long to refill the reservoirs.
RO/Di water give you 100% control over the final chemistry since you are adding trace amounts of buffers to very pure water but unless you have other uses for the purified waste water the unit cost of the water is high. The waste water is similar to HMA filtered water plus slightly enriched by the mineral content which is rejected by the RO membrane(s).
Here is the RO/DI unit and accessories I bought:
http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1EXT ... Meter.html
BTW, I use the pure water in my espresso machine and thus it makes very tasty espresso based drinks.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Return to “Speak Easy”