I have 5 Asian Redtail Catfishes in one tank. Is that okay?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Red Belly Pacu

I have 5 Asian Redtail Catfishes in one tank. Is that okay?

Post by Red Belly Pacu »

I just got them. At the store, they were all peaeful together. They are 3 to 5 inches in length. Will they be aggressive to one another or will they live in peace as what I saw in the store.
Tá Mé Páedrig
Location 1: Oita, Japan
Location 2: Oita, Japan

Post by Tá Mé Páedrig »

Ummm, they may be fine now but they will eventually outgrow basically any aquarium you can fit in your house.
Tá Mé Páedrig
Location 1: Oita, Japan
Location 2: Oita, Japan

Post by Tá Mé Páedrig »

Just checked the catalogue. Each fish has a max size of 38'' (though it's unlikely all five will make it to that size) so by the 1 inch/gallon rule you would need at least a 190 gallon tank for all five. But odds are that wouldn't even be enough considering how active and aggressive they can be.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

They will definitely outgrow their welcome to each other and rip each other to shreds (most probably even before they outgrow the tank) eventually, as these are among the most aggressive catfishes known.
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Although many cats grow lge to sell 5 tankbusters to somebody is a disgrace to the hobby. Take them back to your lfs they dont deserve to have a pet liceanse.
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

I know this is an old post but I'd like to put in my two cents worth. I just experienced what people mean bythe reputation that this cat is the most aggressive cat they have ever seen. I just bought a 3-3.5 incher pair yesterday. Dang thing was cheap. How would you respond to US$1 for a pair? It looked like the asian striped catfish so I took a swipe at them.

Overnight I researched on the fish and found out that I had arguably the meanest baddest fish around. I had to separate them at 1in the morning from my pl*cs. True enough, after observing in the dark for some time, the larger one started beating on the the smaller one. Just this afternoon, the other one was dead. It was horrible. I am now thinking of a new owner for this fish.

Regards,
Mike D.
general-sherman
Location 1: australia/victoria
Interests: southamerican fish

red belly pacu

Post by general-sherman »

maybe the person that sold these fish to red belly pacu was the same person that told him pangasius hypophthalmus only grows 11" IN CAPTIVITY :shock:
Meanwhile, Homer catches a legendary catfish, General Sherman, but to prove his love for Marge he throws it back in the lake...

Return to “Asian Catfishes”