Catfish for UK pond

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
Redtail83
Location 2: UK

Catfish for UK pond

Post by Redtail83 »

Hi All,

I was looking to buy some catfish to put in a pond in the UK.

What are my options apart from Channel Cats, can Blue catfish survive our climate?

Regards
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Re: Catfish for UK pond

Post by racoll »

What are my options apart from Channel Cats, can Blue catfish survive our climate?
Basically, anything that can survive the UK climate is either banned, or a licence is required. This is for good reason, as they will ultimately end up getting into rivers and lakes. This is either due to idiots releasing them deliberately, or through events such as river flooding reaching people's garden ponds.

What might be fun, is experimenting with keeping subtropicals outside during the summer months. Folks on the forum have done this with some of the and other non-catfishes. The fish often do very well, with all the natural foods in the pond, and will breed prolifically. Search for some threads on the subject.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Catfish for UK pond

Post by Bas Pels »

Catfish I kept in my Dutch garden:

Pimelodella gracilis, Corydoras, Rhineloricaria, Microglanis, Ancistrus, Hisonotus, all from Uruguay

I also kept Hoplosternum littorale in a pond one summer
cats have whiskers

Return to “Other Catfishes”