Need help finding a paper for university!

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
ahk
Location 2: Edmonton

Need help finding a paper for university!

Post by ahk »

Hello,

I am a 4th year biology student. I am taking a physiology class and one of our assignments requires us to write a paper on physiological adaptations of few chosen species from 'challenging' environments. One of the species I chose to look at is Horaglanis krishnai. I am having a lot of difficulty getting the original paper describing this species (which is the point of this assignment, really). I've been trying for a few days now via my University's access, but it appears to me that the paper is not readily available online. I don't absolutely need this paper in order to write my own, but I feel that it would be pretty useful. My Uncle (Birger- I believe he's an active member on here) suggested I ask on here for help in acquiring this paper. If anyone can help me out with a PDF, that would be very much appreciated!

The paper:

Menon, A.G.K. 1951. On a remarkable blind siluroid fish of the family Clariidae from Kerala, India. Records of Indian Museum 48: 59-66.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Re: Need help finding a paper for university!

Post by racoll »

This is a really hard journal to track down, I'm afraid. If @Silurus or one of our Indian members such as @Shovelnose doesn't have it, then there's not much hope.

Only other option is physically visiting a large natural history museum library, and photocopying it, but I wouldn't know if anywhere in Canada would even have this journal.

A great place to look for old papers---just not this one---is the biodiversity heritage library.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Balaji(@Shovelnose) and I have tried to dig this one up in the past and I have emailed him again on it...worth a try to bring it up again.

I did send ahk some other papers I had on the subject matter.

Birger
Birger
ahk

Post by ahk »

I looked on the Biodiversity Heritage Library, I could access early issues of this publication (up until the mid-20s I believe) but it seems to disappear from the internet in the years following. I know my university does not have any hard copies of it, and as I said, it't not vital to my paper so probably not worth the hassle trying to find a hard copy elsewhere in Canada. I assume that if I can't find it despite looking for several days, neither will any of my classmates. Birger got me a few other papers I'd been having difficulties finding, so I'm already doing pretty good on the research front. Thanks for the suggestions, though!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I have a hard copy somewhere in my reprint library. Given that I can no longer easily access my library (it's in the museum, because I have no space to store it at home, and I cannot go down to the museum when it is open), it could have been on the moon for all the good that it is doing.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

ahk wrote:I could access early issues of this publication (up until the mid-20s I believe) but it seems to disappear from the internet in the years following.
Yes, because prior to 1923, published works are effectively exempt from copyright.
ahk

Post by ahk »

Thanks for all the information, I will just have to make do without this paper! Thanks again for the help.
characinfan
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Canada

Post by characinfan »

Have you tried looking for the journal using WorldCat and then requesting the paper through interlibrary loan?

--> Pretty sure that U of T (Toronto) has this journal.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”