Feeding 20lb Channel Catfish in my Pond

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
Petdetective
Location 2: United States

Feeding 20lb Channel Catfish in my Pond

Post by Petdetective »

My backyard pond in Virginia (US) and is about 5,000 gal. I have a channel cat that is about 10 years old and we have had him since is was only 3 inches long. He has grown to about 30 inches now and is probably 20 lbs or so. I think I should be feeding him more than pellet food that I feed the goldfish. What would you recommend I feed him to keep him healthy?
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Feeding 20lb Channel Catfish in my Pond

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Welcome to the Planet!

Post some pics! Various pellets are fine. If the pond is natural, I am sure he supplements his diet with insects, amphibians, reptiles, crusteceans, etc. that get in the pond and he can catch. If the goldfish can fit in his huge mouth, I am sure he eats some of them too... or is he alone in the pond?

You could offer fleshy frozen-thawed foods of aquatic origin - whole fishes and pieces, shrimp, sea foods, crayfish, mussel, frogs, etc. Just freeze them first to kill parasites. Make sure your bio-filter can keep up with a good safety margin.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Petdetective
Location 2: United States

Post by Petdetective »

Thank you for the advice. The pond is not natural, we have about 15 gold fish and one other baby cat fish. We think he has kept his fat on by eating the gold fish eggs or babies, but he is getting so big now. I will try supplementing his diet with some of the recommendations you made. Thanks!
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

At 30", his mouth is surely big enough to eat almost any average adult goldfish and in such a small pond he will have no problem whatsoever hunting them. Has their count not been changing?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Other Catfishes”