Vembanad Lake

For those out there encountering catfishes in the wild, post your experiences here.
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Vembanad Lake

Post by Shovelnose »

The moment my family decided to go on a vacation to Kerala, I tried to brainwash 'em into heading towards the greener pastures (for hobbyists) of Waynad. A lot of firm no's and some rather rude language later, Cochin and Kumarakom were chosen as the locations. Still sounded good as I hadn't been to these two places in around 6 years but I was also banned from carrying any nets as we were staying in some 'hoity toity aren't we grand' kinda hotels. x(

I was able to join in only half way as Metallica and Biffy Clyro were performing in Bangalore. This was the Four Horsemen Tour as well. Didn't wanna miss seeing 'em play songs from the first four albums.

A fairly good concert and a back ache inducing train journey later, I reached Kerala. We stayed on the shores of the Vembanad Lake so I went angling (if you can call it that).

The Vembanad Lake.

A houseboat on the lake.

Close to sunset.

The alleged rod.

The alleged bait.

The catch.

Etroplus suratensis. Commonly known as the 'Karimeen' in Kerala. Found in abundance here and is the official fish of the state of Kerala.

. The first catfish I have caught with the rod.

Some large fish then tore the line off. Quite an embarrassing moment I should say. Looking at the water holding a piece of bamboo in my hand and a look of surprise on my face. Repaired the rod and resumed duties again.

Etroplus maculatus

Puntius filamentosus. I didn't expect to catch any decent sized fish so I stole a small photography tank from a friend. Unfortunately for this poor Puntius, the tank was too small. Hence it seems to pose like a Headstander.

There was an abandoned canoe nearby. A close inspection revealed there were some fish inside it. I forced myself to not look at the hammock outside the room as this was the closest I could get to a net. Had to make do with a bucket.

Puntius chola

Puntius filamentosus (top) and P.chola (bottom).

There were a lot of birds around. I could ID only the Cormorants and this Greater Coucal.

The Chinese fishing nets.

That was 'bout it. Great food,good weather and a Horabgarus. The perfect recipe for a vacation.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Vembanad Lake

Post by Silurus »

You did pretty well without the use of a net, I'd say. We could at least use some of the pics of the lake for the Horabagrus Cat-eLog entry.
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Thanks HH. Added a picture of the lake to the entry.
Balaji

Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
andregurov
My cats species list: 11 (i:2, k:3)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: future wetlands of America, Louisiana
Location 2: New Orleans, Louisiana

Post by andregurov »

Very cool; I've never really been attracted to the Etroplus species, but that E. suratensis looks incredible.
"What did the Caspian Sea?" - Saki
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I expected nothing less of you, Balaji: perfect little story... even good as is for a children's short story book - excellent pics, humor, values lesson (though somewhat objectionable when it comes for the rest of your family... from a fish geek point of view), intrigue, suspense, enigma (unsolved, unfortunately - big fish/snake/turtle?), music, and an education in aquatic life. Per-r-rfect.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Thanks Viktor. I would say big fish. There were some 10-11" TL E.suratensis around. Either these or maybe or although these are just wild guesses. It was quite a powerful jerk.

Ps : What values lesson??? Only fish and food. :d
Balaji

Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Lesson #1: Kids, be passionate.
Lesson #2: Kids, don't put yourselves first - submit to your family demands. Humility is >>>> than passion.
Lesson #3: Be inventive and resourceful. Something about lemonade... When life takes away your nets, make home-grown angling rods.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
drako57
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Pune,India

Post by drako57 »

omg ! You went for Metallica ? :O Next time theres a concert in blore, lets meet up and do a fishing trip :P How far is this lake from blore ?
Winter is Coming
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Vembanad Lake is around 600 kms from Bangalore. I doubt if I will be travelling anywhere near that side for the next two years as I will be in Delhi during this period.
Balaji

Return to “Travellers note book”