Where to buy brown bullheads for a pond?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
bigamefish
My images: 5
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: birtle mb
Location 2: manitoba canada
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

Where to buy brown bullheads for a pond?

Post by bigamefish »

Hello everyone! Some close family have expanded a small dugout into a 500,000 gallon pond and it is a excellent habitat for some fish! Knowing me they they have left me up to stocking and all the fish type details! So I was wondering if any body knows where I can buy some bullheads in numbers up to 30-50. Also would they breed in a pond like that? I'll put an add for this in the sales forum. Thanks
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
crkinney
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:14)
Location 2: Orange city fl. USA
Interests: Hunt ,fish ,watch fish and P.O. the wife
nick name MULE

Re: Where to buy brown bullheads for a pond?

Post by crkinney »

In the US the state will sell them for stocking .
mule
unblinded
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Hooks, Texas
Location 2: United States

Post by unblinded »

This made me laugh. :d Here in Texas most people with a pond are trying to keep brown bullheads out. If it's anything there like it is here, they'll find their way into your pond. I've got a 2500 gallon pond that I never put any into and I've found 3 in the past 2 years about 6 inches long. And yes, they will breed like crazy in your pond.
Catfish Addict Posing As Cichlid Enthusiast
antec
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:55)
Location 2: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Post by antec »

I've wanted to keep a brownie a while back. im not sure what your legislation is with keeping game fish but here in Ontario, if you keep a game fish then it counts for a fish of your limit on your licence. say your licence is 5 catfish per day, well if you keep two in an aquarium then your limit is now 3. another thing to prevent keeping game fish is that they say its leagal to keep the fish but its Illegal to transport them alive. . . so they have a twist there. fortunately I have a research permit that allows me to transport them - I ended up not getting one tho.
moose71
Location 2: maine, usa

Post by moose71 »

here in maine the brown bullhead introductions have ruined many a good trout pond. they are so prolific that they displace/ out compete the other fish in the pond.

Return to “Other Catfishes”