Plotosidae Catfish Availability

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
kp90
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Canada

Plotosidae Catfish Availability

Post by kp90 »

Been wanting a member of this family of cats for a long time, but I've only found Plotosus lineatus for sale near me. At this time I have no intention to going back over to salt. So I'm wondering if anybody can provide any information about how these cats get into the hobby outside of Australia. I'm particularly interested in Neosilurus ater as this seems to be the species that pops up for sale most often.

I've noticed people getting these cats in some places. And as I understand it they would be coming out of New Guinea. Anybody know if there is a particular time of year for collection? Are they seasonal? How are they being distributed? Are they going through one of the fish farms in SE Asia or are they being distributed from suppliers in New Guinea?

Thanks
Kevin
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Re: Plotosidae Catfish Availability

Post by naturalart »

I'm interested in this subject as well. bump
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I don't know about the details of their export but anyone importing from that part of the world can get them. Mine came via Australian exports, but they can also be exported from Papua. Many are quite big fish and that seems more of a limiting factor than anything else.

Jools
kp90
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Canada

Post by kp90 »

Jools wrote:I don't know about the details of their export but anyone importing from that part of the world can get them. Mine came via Australian exports, but they can also be exported from Papua. Many are quite big fish and that seems more of a limiting factor than anything else.

Jools
I find it interesting that they came from Australia. With Australia's export laws I've only heard of 2 or 3 farms that have the proper permits to export these cats. I've looked into them before when other Aussie fish were being imported but was told that there wasn't enough interest to justify bringing them in. Guess I'll just have to keep my eyes out.
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

There are four species of Plotosidae that are semi-regularly seen in the local Australian trade, availability appears to be based on seasonal collecting. I don't know if any farms breed any commercially but I doubt there is enough of a demand.

Neosilurus ater
Neosilurus hyrtlii (N. glencoensis)
Porochilus rendahli
Tandanus tandanus

Of those, N. hyrtlii are probably the 'easiest' in that they are fairly undemanding, stay relatively small and coexist peacefully with most other species. N. ater reach a larger size and are generally fine with other fish but tend to become territorial with other aters as they reach maturity. P. rendahli like their own company but are skittish and need dense bunches of plants to hide in; they don't really like rocks or caves and often bash their noses on them. Tandans can get quite large and will eat anything they can fit in their mouths.

A few other freshwater species occasionally show up but generally if you want them you have to go and collect them yourself.
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

Very informative snowball. Thanks for sharing.
Herschel51
Location 2: Pakistan

Post by Herschel51 »

I agree with you.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Welcome, friend! Would you, please, introduce yourself in the Speak easy section?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Other Catfishes”