P.compta (L134) caves?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

P.compta (L134) caves?

Post by catfishchaos »

Hi everyone!

I obtained 7 beautiful L134 from Davej and although they are rather young some of them have already been staking out some caves :d These guys were purchased with full intent on breeding them and making them more readily available to Canadian aquarist and to also put some more captive bred specimens out there. I've been sifting through Plecocaves.com and realized there is an abundance of diameters in these caves. I was wondering if theres a rule of thumb for finding the appropriate diameter for each pleco species by adult size? what size caves have you had success with L134s?

Thanks!

Regards
James
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
jp11biod
I've donated: $372.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: NW Indiana

Re: P.compta (L134) caves?

Post by jp11biod »

I have about 12 L-134 and the adults seem to prefer the 1 1/2" caves. Some of the smaller guys use the 1" and some like hiding places between and under rock and wood. I would think those are the females.
Nabobmob1
My articles: 1
My images: 38
My cats species list: 112 (i:39, k:0)
My BLogs: 40 (i:59, p:1622)
Spotted: 18
Location 1: North Chicagoland
Location 2: Northern IL
Interests: Catfish, Beer, Barbeque, Fishing and Music

Re: P.compta (L134) caves?

Post by Nabobmob1 »

My L134 have alwasy preferred Plecocaves.com 1.5" "Euro" caves. They are so tight on the adults one worries they are stuck.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”