Keeping Pleco's

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
Heidi030
Location 1: Sarasota
Location 2: Florida

Keeping Pleco's

Post by Heidi030 »

Hello everyone. My name Is Dawn and IM from Florida. I just set up a 30 gallon tank with a Bristlenose Pleco, White Tiger King Pleco and a Spotted Pleco. If anyone has any advice for me I would appreciate it.
jodilynn
I've donated: $84.00!
My cats species list: 85 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 7
Spotted: 41
Location 2: BeeEffaEe, MI

Re: Keeping Pleco's

Post by jodilynn »

Hi Dawn, welcome to Planet Catfish!

I have 3 BN plecos, an Albino male, a Lemondrop female (both in my 55 gallon tank) and a younger Green Dragon female in my 40 gallon. The male and the younger Green Dragon can be a little pushy with tankmates, but nothing terribly aggressive or harmful. More like "You are where I want to be so move"!

Very hardy, eat anything, when younger they are GREAT at cleaning algae. They don't seem to have any specific needs or to be difficult to keep (and I got them when they were probably under an inch long). One of my favorite plecos.

I feed them a variety of pleco pellets, algae/spirulina discs (wafers), and they LOVE zucchini, also sweet potatoes, peas, cucumber, and I am going to try red peppers and sugar snap peas just for some additional variety. I give them frozen Omega One Veggie Formula once in a while as a treat. They also sneak the meat based pellets even though I try to keep those away from them!

I don't have any experience with the other species. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FISH! :-BD

Return to “Other Catfishes”