Bronze/Panda cory Hybrid?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
CT327
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Springfield, MO

Bronze/Panda cory Hybrid?

Post by CT327 »

Hello i am a new user to the site so i am sorry if this is not the place for this question.

So while i was at college this year i found my love for the cory catfish and purchased a 20 gallon with a school of 6 bronze corys. Well i'm a frequent customer/side employee of the LFS here and on a visit maybe a month or two ago i found someone had bought all but one of the panda corys. It broke my heart since they're a community species and i ended up schooling it with my bronze ones since i don't have the money or space for a panda colony. Almost every weekly water change that i did caused spawning in the group and i find eggs everywhere. After many failed attempts to raise the eggs out of the tank i decided to let them stay and hope they survive. Well a couple days back my girlfriend noticed something small swimming around under my small drift wood. To my surprise there was about 4-5 fry maybe a couple cms at most. The strange thing was i can clearly see the two black lines over their eyes marking them as pandas. The only problem is i only have one panda cory. I can't for the life of me find anything about bronze and pandas cross breeding. Help? Sorry i can't post a picture my old iphone takes very low quality pictures.

Also just to plainly state i did not indeed to cross-breed and Will be keeping them in my personal collection so please don't be mad at me for the hybrid.
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Re: Bronze/Panda cory Hybrid?

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

what is the size of the fry ?!
I have some doubts that this is really a hybrid, although I would not call it impossible.

Fry of the aeneus group also has a dark eye mask...
For comparison here is a pic of a fry of CW010:

This pattern is rather typical for aeneus group.
If yours look similar than there is no need to be worried...

Cheers,
--

Karsten
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Re: Bronze/Panda cory Hybrid?

Post by JamesFish »

My bronze fry took a while to colour up. They were in with pepper's so first thought it was the peppered cory fry.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”