First Wild Caught Fish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Fortress Maximus
Location 1: New Jersey
Location 2: USA

First Wild Caught Fish

Post by Fortress Maximus »

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums, and relatively new -- compared to some of the seasoned pros here -- to the hobby. I'm purchasing a Auchenoglanis Giraffe nose catfish (not sure which species). These fish were wild caught, I believe, from the Volta and Nigeria; that's all the information I and the shop have on them. My question, though, is what preparation, if any, I should be doing in my tank for the introduction of a wild caught fish. Should I be concerned about parasites and pathogens beyond what I get from my LFS?

Thanks!
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL

Re: First Wild Caught Fish

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I'd ask if the fish have been treated and made aquarium safe. W/c fish are sold as much as tank /farm raised ones and most usually hobbyists do not have to treat again. Quarantine is always a good idea.

Some experts think that w/c fish may be even safer than the other kind because their immune system is stronger and because a lot of fish mass-raised by people are raised in rather filthy conditions. IDK the statistics and don't know who is right.

If one has to treat, I'd recommend three 15-min baths in potassium permanganate every other day and then medicating with a mixture of praziquantel, metronidazole, and fenbendazole (or flubendazole) through food for a week because this is what my vendor-friends do.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Fortress Maximus

Thanks! Great advice!
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Everybody has their own ideas on quarantine and that would include me. Here is how I see things for what that may be worth.

1. Fish, like many other animals tend to develop immunities based on the pathogens to which they are most often exposed. That means tank raised vs farm raised vs wild caught are likely to be most and least resistant to different things. So there are things which wild fish can catch from captive bred fish and vice versa.

2. Wild caught fish are more likely to arrive with certain parasites or worms that captive raised fish should not have as these are more likely to have been treated for in the system and, hopefully, these things have been eliminated from the aquatic systems from which they come.

3. Captive bred fish which are in overcrowded systems are more likely to be weaker than wild caught due to over crowding and some stress but they are also likely to have had better nutrition. Nobody has an economic stake in wild fish until they are caught. On the other hand, both farm or tank raised fish have an investment cost associated and when they die (or cannot be sold), somebody likely looses money.

4. It is the final seller of the fish in the supply chain who will have a chance to insure the fish are healthy. Given how fast many places like to turnover stock, from whom we acquire any given fish will have a major effect on how healthy they might be. So knowing your source is important.

I use the following rule of thumb. I will Q what I know to be captive bred fish for at least one month and most wild caught for close to three months. My experience has been that wild caught fish may have issues that take many weeks to manifest after I have received them. I would rather be safe than sorry in this respect. These time periods mean the fish go that length of time without any issues. If I am forced to treat, I restart the clock once the problem has been successfully eliminated.

Next, I dislike medicating/treating fish unless I am sure there is a need. Medications cause stress and over medicating can have negative consequences. At best I might use a round of a dewormer or anti-parasitic treatment for internal parasites with fish that have a reputation for needing it. But for most things I want to see symptoms before I medicate rather than doing it proactively.

Finally, how long one quarantines has two aspects to it. One is how much one feels obliged to prevent problems and to what extent they will go to "cure" fish. The other consideration is purely economical. How much did the new fish cost and then how much are the fish already in the planned permanent home worth. It is one thing not to Q sufficiently those fish that cost little and are going into tanks with other inhabitants that are also inexpensive. On the other hand, if one has a tank with fish worth a lot of money, insuring new fish doe not bring in problems becomes more important. Of course there is also one's attachment level to any fish. For example, I have 4 clown loaches which I have had for about 13 years. They cost me almost nothing, but I am very fond of them and I would never do anything to risk their well being.

In the end, I would ask which is the better mistake to make, to Q for too little time or to Q for too much time?
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Fortress Maximus

Wow, you guys are great! This is more information than I expected. Thanks again.

Return to “African Catfishes”