killing hydra and planeria

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ClearSky57
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 2: Mid-Atlantic, USA

killing hydra and planeria

Post by ClearSky57 »

I have an influx of hydra in two tanks, one that has dwarf ancistris young, (huacamayo) and in my Red Lizard fry tank..
and have found some planaria in my Leopard Frog breeding tank..

Is Goat wormer safe for all three instances???

the dosage rate I have is .10 ml per 10 gallons...

will it harm leopard frog eggs?

thanks
david
PseudaSmart
I've donated: $200.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 19
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My BLogs: 9 (i:10, p:310)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Michigan, USA
Location 2: Ilha do Mel, Brazil
Interests: Breeding all Pseuda's. Finding a way to beat Parkinson's Disease.

Re: killing hydra and planeria

Post by PseudaSmart »

I've used Fenben..... several times over the years. Using the goat dewormer is the best method because it is already in suspension and the dosage calculations are easy.

It's never a good idea to use strong and sometimes unpredictable treatments with smaller fish or eggs. Best to move them to another tank. I use two plastic containers with water from the new tank to basically move the fish 3 times using a different net for each move. It sounds like overkill but you might be surprised by what you see 'appear' in the water while moving them. I wait 10 minutes between moves and shade the containers from a lot of light.

When treating the tank pouring it directly on the hydra is rewarding to do. After treatment be sure to do a WC, clean gravel, and rinse out filter media especially sponge filters. If you don't it will stay in the tank a long time.

Are you sure it is planaria and not derititus worms? Best solution is to take out fish, clean gravel and let them starve in about a week. Clean gravel again to verify. Or keep fish in, feed less food, and clean gravel every day for a week. This will greatly reduce their numbers.

Last suggestion fish like Gourami's (Pearls are the best) are great for eating hydra if you don't over feed them. They also like worms. They have keen eyes and can see the stuff.

So the goat dewormer will work but without fry and eggs for safety.
Or
A few more basic solutions to the same issues.

Good Luck,
Jim
Almost 3,000 gallons solely for raising and breeding Pseudacanthicus.
Spawned to date: L25, L65, L97, L114, L160, L185, L427, LDA07 and P. leopardus (L600).
Check out my videos at: youtube.com/c/PseudaSmart
Also on Facebook. PseudaSmart (of course!)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”