Feeding Electric catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
mcaquatic
My cats species list: 67 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 34
Location 1: USA
Location 2: somerville, NJ

Feeding Electric catfish

Post by mcaquatic »

HI I have a 22 inch electric catfish that I am feeding daily. Should I be feeding him this frequently or would I be better with one or two meals a week?

Thank you
amiidae
My images: 546
My cats species list: 82 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 178
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Singapore

Re: Feeding Electric catfish

Post by amiidae »

I say twice a week sould be fine but depending on the current condition / character of your specimen. Got photos to show ? :)
PREDATORY FISH KEEPERS FB GROUP --> https://www.facebook.com/groups/166535030633179/
mcaquatic

Post by mcaquatic »

amiidae wrote:I say twice a week sould be fine but depending on the current condition / character of your specimen. Got photos to show ? :)

Thanks will try to get some photos later. He is a great fish. Overall fairly active and begs for food. Right now he is in a 180. I am contemplating moving him to a 225 (6ft x 4 ft).
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

Do you know what species of electric cat?

Can't wait to see pictures, I would love to have one but I can't convince my mom to let me have defibrillators in my room =))
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
mcaquatic

Post by mcaquatic »

It should be Malapterurus microstoma . I guess if he doesn't grow any more the importer was right.
faxling
My cats species list: 15 (i:11, k:9)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: sweden
Location 2: stockholm

Post by faxling »

What do you feed it with ?? I
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States
Location 2: North Carolina

Post by Lycosid »

I'd like to resurrect this thread to ask about food quantities. I've got a small (palm of my hand length) Malapterurus sp. which I acquired quite recently. With surface-feeding fish that I've kept before I've always used the rate of feeding to determine how much food to throw into the tank but this guy waits until the food hits the bottom, and often longer. In fact, it was only this morning that I actually saw him feed, and then only when I turned the lights down and sat quietly for fifteen minutes.

Everything I've seen suggests that these catfish are quite happy to eat themselves into serious obesity so I want to be sure I'm providing enough food but not too much.

I'm currently feeding frozen bloodworms and the occasional live mealworm (since I happen to have a number of them on hand and I figured the twitching of the drowning worm might stimulate his predatory instincts).
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

I appreciate I'm talking about a different species, but I typically feed my ~23cm SL Chrysichthys ornatus every other day. I make a rough solid ball from New Era Catfish pellets, that is ~1cm radius, as his/her staple diet. My catfish is not very active, as far as I'm aware, I must get round to setting up my night vision camera to check what this fish gets up to in the middle of the night.
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I'm guessing your ecat is adjusting. When comfortable, they are very unfussy and glutonous.

I'd feed until the tummy's round and let it go flat until next feeding.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Location 1: United States
Location 2: North Carolina

Post by Lycosid »

Great. He's definitely responding to food faster now, and seems to care less that I'm watching him eat.

Return to “African Catfishes”