Corydoras pygmaeus with ?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
kiwidu21
My cats species list: 20 (i:4, k:5)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:17)
Spotted: 12
Location 1: France
Location 2: Côte D'Or

Corydoras pygmaeus with ?

Post by kiwidu21 »

Hello
I would like to have a group of Corydoras pygmaeus in 60l.
The cohabitation with C.pygmaeus and Tatia sp. or Centromochlus perugiae is possible ?
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Corydoras pygmaeus with ?

Post by Bas Pels »

Although Tatia and Centromochlus swims much higher in the tank than C pygmaeus does, and at night insted of during the day, I would not combine them. I am afraid the nocturnal fuss from the woodcats would stress the Corydoras.

Personally I have Corydoras hastatus (similar size) combined with Nannobrycon eques and Nannostomus marginatus - both species of the higher water regions, but much quieter.
cats have whiskers
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Bas Pels wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 12:43 Personally I have Corydoras hastatus (similar size) combined with Nannobrycon eques and Nannostomus marginatus - both species of the higher water regions, but much quieter.
I've also combined them successfully with pencil fish, and with Threadfin Rainbow fish (Iriatherina werneri). spp. are also good tank mates.

An advantage of using Iriatherina or Nannobrycon eques is that both they, and , like really small food items, but at different levels of the tank.

cheers Darrel
kiwidu21
My cats species list: 20 (i:4, k:5)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:17)
Spotted: 12
Location 1: France
Location 2: Côte D'Or

Post by kiwidu21 »

Ok thanks
But I think that a little catfish could be combined with C.pygmaeus except species of Loricaridae.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Generally speaking Loricarids will not bother Cory pygmaeus much. So that will not be much of a problem (Ancistrus is possible, Pterobolichthys obvioualy not, as they get too big)

Combining Cory pygmaeus with small catfish will not be a problem, as long as these catfish are quiet, and not too predatory. And not too active

Not many catfish will fit, I´m afraid
cats have whiskers
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

I've only had for a few weeks now but in my heavily planted 208 litre (under my tanks its "The over hang") the six of them live with:

11 ember tetras
3 rummy nose (was 10 but there was an incident with before the ember tetras where added...)
2 unidentified Hemiloricaria

I havent experienced any losses or any issues as of yet. obviously some of these are out of the question in 60 litres (mainly the whiptails) but that list is more to show you some possible groups to look into.
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”